water testing questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he is the only one in the tank there is no need to QT him. If you are treating him with something that can hurt your snails it would be easier and less stressful on him to move the snails out of harms way.

dancersmama79 said:
dumb question... what causes PH?? is it hard water? i have city water and am not sure if we have hard water or not...

Test it with ur kit also, so you'll know where ur starting from.

my filter quit working so ive had to put my 1-3 filter in my 5gal until my new filter gets here... still have the old filter in the tank tho to keep the bacteria going and the 1-3 filter had been running in the small tank so it wasnt completely dry or free of bacteria... but it im afraid this will completely slow down my cycle... my dancer still has what looks like to be a white bubble spot on his head and ive added aquarium salt to the water changes...

Keep in mind that your pH will most likely change until you are cycled completely.

Can you add a photo of the health issue?

dancers spot

this is as good as i could get

Attachments

• 100_0948.jpg
    100_0948.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_0929.jpg
    100_0929.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_0932.jpg
    100_0932.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0935.jpg
    100_0935.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 65
dancersmama79 said:
i tested my tap water and the ph is 6.4 so what causes my tank water ph to stay around 7.6? i know 7.6 is good for the snails but is that safe for my betta?

Is that straight out of the tap? Let the tap run for a minute then fill a glass. Let the glass sit out over night and stir occasionally. Test the next day. That will be the 'true' pH of the water.

i have a gravel cleaner that i use to do my water changes.... i was wondering if it was resetting my cycling the tank if i was cleaning the gravel instead of just getting the debris on top of the gravel and in the water. i also got my new filter today so i put the filter cartridge from the fild id been using in it as well as the new filter it came with. how long should i leave the old filter cartridge in the new filter? also this filter is much quieter and barely any current at all so it doesnt disturb dancer or the snails seems to be a much better choice than the cheap one that i go with the kit. but the new one was only $10 so not bad either there...

tested my water and the ammonia was at .50 so i did a 50% water change not cleaning the gravel just getting as much of the debris out as possible and half the water. after a couple hrs my ammonia level is back to .50 is this normal for a currently cycling tank that hasnt converted the nitrites yet? or am i doing something wrong? do i need to be cleaning the gravel as well?

You can vacuum into the gravel, that's ok. :) just not remove the gravel from the tank and clean. Sorry if I confused you. If the ammonia is back up do another water change. Very normal for it to keep rising.

ok thank you... not a problem... ive never cycled a tank before so im probly a bit frustrating to u as well :) dancer is doing much better i think hes gone to the bathroom a few more times as hes not bloated but still has "stuff" attached to his underbelly but hes back to being his active self and swimming thru my fingers when i play with him. hes been lookin for food but im not feeding him til tomorrow and going to start with the bettamin and a little at that.... and when he gets the pellets only 1 or 2 at a time... this has definitely been an experience with him lol

Back
Top Bottom