Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

water testing questions?

just got my API testing kit today and ive had my 5 gal tank with one betta for about 3 weeks now... Nitrites and Nitrates are both 0 but Ammonia is .50 so im assuming i need to do a 50% water change???

Amy Lynn
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep. 50% or a little more to get it below .25.

KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats what i did

Amy Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

my ph is 7.6 is that good for mystery snails?

Amy Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's awesome for mystery snails--is what I have, actually. If the pH starts getting too low (below 7) and too soft, you start having to supplement for calcium loss.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

dumb question... what causes PH?? is it hard water? i have city water and am not sure if we have hard water or not...

Amy Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

ive never had mystery snails but always wanted them but wanted to do my research first and ive read several different sites and alot of information mine are loving their tank and my betta isnt attacking them or trying to eat them... he nipped at ones shell but i think hes just curious and trying to figure out what they are since hes not had anything in his tank before... its cool to watch them together.... hes not bothering them at all just keeping his eye on them lol

Amy Lynn
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
dumb question... what causes PH?? is it hard water? i have city water and am not sure if we have hard water or not...
Ph is a measure of the water ... on a level of being acidic or basic
Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pH is, put simply, the measure of how acid or basic the water is. 7 is completely neutral. Below 7 grows towards acid, above 7 is basic. Usually--and I say usually because it's not always the case--the more basic water is harder and has more salts and minerals in it, therefore more calcium for the snails to use, and the more acid, the softer the water is and the less salts and minerals are in the water, therefore less for the snail to use to replenish their shell. If it gets too acidic, I've read that it can start almost eating at the shell, but I'm not sure most tap water would get low enough. If you're below 6, you might have issues, but you'll probably have issues anyways since it's harder to keep pH stable that low.

If you want more detailed info, wikipedia's got a good article that gets more into the science of it--I was serious when I said that was put simply, but that's about what needs known for the tanks and my memory for details is not that great.

My betta has a pet mystery snail that he leaves alone, and I have 2 in the 55 gallon.

While it probably won't be an issue, I'll toss it out there just for the edification of anyone reading who's interested and curious--sometimes bettas will start nipping at the snails' antennae. If you see that, pull the snail out. While they can regrow the antennae, if it gets bad enough, the stress can kill the snail.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

right now hes not picking at the snails hes just staying close to the smaller one its like he almost encircles it with his fins like a blanket almost lol but hes not flaring or anything like hes being defensive its almost like hes being protective or something or just being close to him.... right now i cant tell if they are male or female....

Amy Lynn

Tags
sting, testing, water testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com