Water too Acidic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishforJoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! I am new to forum and trying to research why my very alkaline tap water turns very acidic in my 40 gal freshwater tank. It is not a new tank and this is a problem I have always had. I have removed driftwood. I have removed plastic plants and all rocks. The tap water is at least 8.4 which is common for our area. It is very hard. When I test the water in the tank after 48 hours it tests so acidic there is no color on my test strip. I have used crushed coral in my tank in the past to raise the alkanity and this has worked but folks around here still don't know why this happens. I usually don't worry about it because the fish I have have adjusted to the water, but when I try to add any new fish they just die (and quickly). So, I thought I would research some to see what you might have to suggest. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Have you tried a slower acclimation for new fish? I use a drip acclimation. The acclimation process takes a few hours, but its supposed to be the safest way to acclimate fish to new water.

Here's a link to the one I use:
Aquarium Acclimation Kit: Reef Gently AccliMate Pro

Im sure if youre crafty you could figure out how to just build your own for way less. Im not crafty though :angel:

Is your substrate inert?

It does seem very strange that the ph would swing so drastically in such a short time

If you can't identify the problem, perhaps you could switch to coral sand?

Back
Top Bottom