water treatment ritual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is everyone's standard procedure for treating water before putting it into the tank during a partial water change?

I use Tetra aqua safe to treat 14L of water at a time (fills one bucket), stir it in thoroughly, leave it to stand for 10 mins while I vacuum the gravel in the tank, and then pour it in via a jug :)

I do this for each of my tanks :) Sucker for punishment...

i put in prime for the whole volumn of the tank while my python is filling it up.

I don't do anything but run the cold portion of the water through a carbon cannister water filter. it removes most of the chlorine, and I don't worry about the little bit left. I normally change a minimum of 50%.

I add water to a bucket and treat it with Prime for just the amount of water in the bucket. If I was adding water directly to a tank (i.e. using a Python) then I would add enough Prime for the whole tank.

I always keep tap water in a pot for a week (I change 16L up to 100), I just add it to the tank after adding some drops of Tetra aqua safe.

Guess it depends on the brand again as with other stuff: I re-read the instructions on my Tetra Aquasafe and it says "only treat the water you are adding to your tank". Don't suppose it matters either way :)

There has always been and probably will always be a debate on whether the total tank volume vs the amount of water being changed should be treated.

Most dechlorinators have different doses for what you are treating the water for (chlorine/chloramine). If the difference is one or two capfuls, it won't hurt at all.

A great many folks are probably not aware of what element is in their water and it would do good to find out. This info can usually be obtained from your local water supplier. If your water is supplied via a municipal system, it can be found on your local government website.

what jchillin said, 78 degrees is actually alot colder than what alot of people would think. also when treating with dechlor, i only do the amount im filling, plus maybe 3-5 extra drops

Back
Top Bottom