Water turning yellow/green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turtleman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I've realized my water is turning a yellowish green. I just started up my first 150 gallon tank. I installed the Fluval FX5 four days ago on Dec 12th. Then I applied black sand and added 2 cory cats, along with 2 large wood pieces. Last night I added 6 albino cory cats, 2 julii cory cats and 2 loaches, I also added a lot of plant life. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

A picture would help because if it's yellow and you have any DW in the tank, the DW is most likely leeching tannins that color the water yellowish or tea colored. If it's turning green then that is an indication you are having an algae bloom. How long has the tank been set up? What kind of lights do you have and how long do you let them run daily? Also has the tank been cycled or did you just set it up and add plants and fish?

Driftwood has a tendency to leach tannins into the water which could be causing the discoloration. There is not much you can do about it except take the wood out and soak it for a few months, changing the water every week or so, or just remove it completely from the tank. My guess is this is the source of your discoloration.

EDIT: NINJA'd by Rivercats :)

A picture would help because if it's yellow and you have any DW in the tank, the DW is most likely leeching tannins that color the water yellowish or tea colored. If it's turning green then that is an indication you are having an algae bloom. How long has the tank been set up? What kind of lights do you have and how long do you let them run daily? Also has the tank been cycled or did you just set it up and add plants and fish?

The day by day run down of my set up is in my first post. I have florencent lightings, total of 80 watts, and they run 10-12 hours. I've read up about cycling, but decided to start right away. Is it that important? What are the consequences of not letting it cycle?

Edit: Picture is on its way.

So why did he ask that final question? What I meant was what are the consequences about not following the steps to let it cycle properly. Am I doing anything wrong?

You have fish now so you will have to do an fish in cycle. Cycling a tank is very important and when doing a fish in cycle it is very important to monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels daily to keep levels from raising to levels that are harmful to fish. You need to do as many WC's as needed to keep ammonia and nitrites below .25. Here's a little article that might help... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

As for the DW as Fort stated you can take it out and boil it or you can add carbon or Purgen to your filter to help remove the tannins. 50% WC's often will also help with the tannins plus will help keep ammonia/nitrite levels low which is important for the fish.

One last thing is you should cut your photoperiod down to 6-8 hours daily so you don't have algae issues.

I haven't tested the water yet. I'll get a kit tomorrow. I use well water so I didn't think I'd need to test it.

The source of the water won't have anything to do with it. That article that Rivercats linked is great. In fact, all of her advice here in sound - I agree 100%.

You have fish now so you will have to do an fish in cycle. Cycling a tank is very important and when doing a fish in cycle it is very important to monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels daily to keep levels from raising to levels that are harmful to fish. You need to do as many WC's as needed to keep ammonia and nitrites below .25. Here's a little article that might help... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

As for the DW as Fort stated you can take it out and boil it or you can add carbon or Purgen to your filter to help remove the tannins. 50% WC's often will also help with the tannins plus will help keep ammonia/nitrite levels low which is important for the fish.

One last thing is you should cut your photoperiod down to 6-8 hours daily so you don't have algae issues.

Thank you so much. That article was very helpful and I learned a lot. I knew I wasn't doing something right. I am not parting with my DW, so I will use your methods to remove the tannins. I'm doing a 50% WC right now. I'll post pics when I'm done with it.

Here's the pic.
71146-albums11005-picture47428.html
photoogb.jpg

EDIT: I don't know how to add a pic but here's the link

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/photoogb.jpg/

Here's the pic.
photoogb.jpg

EDIT: I don't know how to add a pic but here's the link

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Nice little tank and I love Madagasgar Lace Plants. Truthfully to me that doesn't look right for tannins, it looks kind of greenish. Can you get a white cup and dip out alittle bit of tank water with it and look down and see exactly what color it is. I want to see if that water looks greenish in a white cup. If it looks like tea then it is tannins but if not then further discussion will be needed.

Back
Top Bottom