Water with tiny dots swarming around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is begining to go slighty cloudy and has alot of small specs floating and just in the tank. I just wonderd what this was, I think it might be a build up of algea, but i'm not sure, should I just turn the light off for a few days and cover my fishtank sides with newspaper? and maybe do 30% water changes each day?

These are most likely harmless, and a result of excess nutrients. Reduced feedings and increased waterchanges would probably be the best option.

Off Topic: Hey StyleUK - I saw your comment on my pleco, so you can change your Bottom Feeder Sucker Fish name in your sig :)

Check your fish closely to see if these things are attaching themselves to a host fish - if not, they are likely harmless copepods, but proliferate with excess debris in the bottom of the tank. Increased gravel vacs and reduced feedings should take care of it.

Thanks all.

I thaught I did change my sig, well it said I did hehe, I'll have another go thx MoxieGrrrl!! :D :D

The little dots are not attaching themselves to my fish, so I'll do a 20% water change everyday for about a week and over vac my gravel and see if that helps.

Thats if you guys don't have any more suggestions or think I should do more of a water change :)

Maybe 10% every day, 20% every other day. Don't be too aggressive with the gravel, but definitely try to get up any detritus, and cut back on feeding, as mentioned. Let us know how long it takes to resolve, if you don't mind, just for reference :D

There are still a few dots floating around, i've been doing a 20% water change everyday and Gravel Vac every other day, the water is really clear and the fish all seem happy.

I think the other dots could jsut be air bubbles, not sure. But i've got two Air Stones going, so the fish think the water is soda anyway hehe.

It's completly gone now, I stuck another filter in to get rid of it faster, then took it out this morning. Crystel clear now :) thx all for the help

ok..this may be a shot in the dark..since im more a herpaculturalist than an aquarist, but....if u use an air stone make sure the bubbles aren't going into the filter intake..this will cause a bunch of micro bubbles that makes the water nasty.

yeah, that was the first thing I looked at, I noticed a few of the bubbles were getting in so I moved the filter to the other end of the tank, worked perfectly and also it helped make my current stronger :)

Back
Top Bottom