Water won't clear up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElvisMinnow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up what looks like a 3 gal tank for a Betta, and I have some plants in a Flourite/Eco-Complete substrate, and I am running a small bag-filter (just carbon inside for now).

The water has been in for almost two weeks, and I have run the filter on low, and turned it off at times, hoping that the nano-particles would settle out, but alas, the water is still murky-ish. It is not bad, but I don't want a fish in there now.

Any thoughts on how to clear this up, besides super-rinsing the Flourite (too late)??

I have used these same materials in other tanks with similar filtration and three days usually does it, but this just keeps going and going and...

How about a 100% water change (no live stock in the tank, right?) to get rid of the majority of the dust, then refill slowly (maybe over a plate or rock) so you don't disturb the flourite & stir up more dust.

Try adding some filter floss to the filter instead of just the carbon as well as the water change that jsoong has described.

Back
Top Bottom