Waterchange method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, i need to ask all you guys with big tanks, how do you do your w/c's.

I currently do mine using buckets but my current tank is only 64l, i am in the process of cycling a 55g (fishless) and will need to do a huge water change once done.

I am thinking about doing the big waterchange like this...

Rigging up a mixer that i can attach to taps and run to tank upstairs via hose. Get the correct temp, dose tank with tap safe and pour straight tap water directly into the tank...

Would this work?

I do not have a means to store any large amounts of water so this is the best way i can think of...

Thanks.

I have seen a 50l barrel that i could probably manage to store at room temperature, but how could i pump the water from barrel to tank?

Get a python water changer to vac the gravel while doing your water changes. I have gravel vac that I made but it's the same idea. Vac, with a hose attached and a tap fitting on the other end. Drain tank to where I want then hook up the other end to the tap and turn on the hot and cold to mix to get the same as tank temp. If you need dechlorinator make sure to dose for the entire tank volume before you add your new water.
Here's my water changer vac

The problem is my taps do not have a hot and cold mix, i have seperate taps

Could you use something like this?

31lXq-kCyuL._SY300_.jpg

Use a python to siphon the water and then a water pump to pump water from the barrel into the tank. Or just skip the python and use buckets to siphon. Generally a 50% water change is going to be 4 buckets which isn't all that bad

That's the sort of thing i'm looking for, however, my taps are not threaded so i'll need to DIY one using the following..

2 x Universal Garden Hose Pipe To Tap Connector 1/2 inch | eBay

3 x QUICK RELEASE PLASTIC FEMALE GARDEN TAP HOSE PIPE FITTING CONNECTOR ADAPTOR | eBay

1 x (y splitter) Garden Hose Pipe Tap Connectors / Hose Repair Joiners etc Hozelock Compatible | eBay

and a few lengths of hose, this should in theory work i think? But what i am really checking is that i'll be ok dumping unchlorinated water into the tank as long as the water that is in there is dosed with dechlorinator for the full tank volume?

Maybe if you post a picture of your taps it would help us understand what's going on.

The python comes with an adapter that screws into the faucet where the aerator is at. It'll work with any standard type of faucet.

You'll need a shutoff valve about 24" from the end going into the tank. That way once you get the temp matched you can shut the flow off long enough to carry it to the tank without the water flowing out. Then open once end is in the tank. OS.

That looks like the best way to do it. I would play with it first to match the temp in your tank. Just put the flow into a bucket or other container. Once you get close or match the temp, mark where you have both cold and hot water set to so that you're not guessing every time.

Long hose drain the water into the garden or drain

Drain 25%

Dose the whole full tank volume with prime

Run a long hose from the tap into the tank and fill

No need to get the temp right fish love a temp drop it simulates rain fall

Done it that way for ove 15 years with no problem my rays even used to breed with the cold water going in as they think it's the rainy season which means higher water levels for new born fry

My temp used to drop from 86 down to 78 with no problems

Back
Top Bottom