Waterfall, paludarim/tank no idea where to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have had this dream for a while, before I even knew what paludariums and vivariums and stuff even were.

I want a waterfall scene about the fishtank going into the fishtank

or maybe have it totally enclosed in the tank

or have one small tank flowing into another with fish from the same area but ones that are not directly compatible

or a river ish rocky shallow "river" flowing into a large tank that fish could possible swim up if they wanted

I really like this idea, sort of a calming mood waterfall going into my fishtank, I would tank to hide the filters and stuff and would need to suspend the lighting. Obviously I would only want plants growing out of the tank.

this would be more the classic paludarium and im assuming would need a much larger tank that was only half-2/3ish full, not sure what filter to use but the equipment could be hid behind the background, although fogging and water changes would be an issue.

How do I get one tank to flow into another nicely?

This is the coolest but also the one I have no idea to do. Think of an outdoor pond with a waterfall-small river-pond, but mini and indoors. I would like to do this for my hillstream loach tank so the loaches can swim up the river part, but other than a crazy custom tank I'm not sure how to do this.

I would like this set up to be fairly small so I can put it in my bedroom..... Idk weather to use a colomn tank or a 20l or a 30g or a 33/40l or a 40 breeder I really have no idea..... maybe a 55g for the palidarum style so I can fill it fuller but they are really narrow for the background so maybe a 40b would be better? I really have no idea?

And how do you make the background/land and attach it to the tank? I would like semi aquatic plants, fully aquatic ones and some floating ones.

Another thing that got me wanting to do this is reading that alot of aquarium plants like anubas are really not fully aquatic, so I could let them grow out of the aquarium.

I really have no idea how to create the "LAND" portion of this project

Here's some links and stuff that inspired me.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-fish-for-paludarium-317964.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/aquatium-waterfall-291327.html

any pond ever with a little stream running into it

the Fluval Chi and Edge

even the defult wiki pic Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Aquarium_60cm.JPG looks like a small tank with ghost glass

Google Image Result for https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H5ktXRRjg8o/UB-yet6Y4hI/AAAAAAAACT8/jpkl3OE6KQA/s692/182414_166027270114449_7904607_n.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/data/photos/41_1aquarium_natural_fishtank.jpg

oh and those like pet the inveterate tanks at the zoo

You could do it where you have like a "sump" tank, but it would be the tank above the other one, then you could cut a round hole in the side so the water would flow into the tank on the bottom, which would be the bigger one, and you would just have to get the water pumped back up the the "sump" tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could do it where you have like a "sump" tank, but it would be the tank above the other one, then you could cut a round hole in the side so the water would flow into the tank on the bottom, which would be the bigger one, and you would just have to get the water pumped back up the the "sump" tank

But how do I make a spout or something for it to pour out? I would probably need a custom tank with one end lower or something...

But how do I make a spout or something for it to pour out? I would probably need a custom tank with one end lower or something...

You could setup two tanks next two each other. Similar to the pic below but with one slightly higher than the other:
6r2grhH.png
On the upper tank you drill a hole in the lower front part of the tank and install an appropriately sized bulkhead fitting. A small extension of PVC camouflaged with decor would be attached to the bulkhead fitting. This would carry water from the upper to lower tank. In the lower tank you would have a pump that would pump water bcarl to the upper tank. Again, a bulkhead fitting could be used to hide some of the plumbing. As the other poster mentioned, the lower tank would act as a sump. In the upper tank, the drain leading to the bulkhead fitting can be adjusted in length to set the water level.
Just an idea. Got the pic from the TPT forum. Good luck with this.

You could setup two tanks next two each other. Similar to the pic below but with one slightly higher than the other:
6r2grhH.png
On the upper tank you drill a hole in the lower front part of the tank and install an appropriately sized bulkhead fitting. A small extension of PVC camouflaged with decor would be attached to the bulkhead fitting. This would carry water from the upper to lower tank. In the lower tank you would have a pump that would pump water bcarl to the upper tank. Again, a bulkhead fitting could be used to hide some of the plumbing. As the other poster mentioned, the lower tank would act as a sump. In the upper tank, the drain leading to the bulkhead fitting can be adjusted in length to set the water level.

I meant that the upper tank would be the sump, as like a giant filter that flows clean water into the other tank, giving it the waterfall effect

Honestly, I would skip using 2 tanks and instead go with a tall tank like a 4ft 90g or 110g. There is plenty of space in one of those to do what you're thinking.

As for the decor, theres a ton of ways to build a 3d background. You just have to pick one. You can build waterfalls into it easily with a little bit of plumbing.

I would want the tanks closer together with the water flowing over the top, so I could discize the top and tank have it look more natural

Honestly, I would skip using 2 tanks and instead go with a tall tank like a 4ft 90g or 110g. There is plenty of space in one of those to do what you're thinking.

As for the decor, theres a ton of ways to build a 3d background. You just have to pick one. You can build waterfalls into it easily with a little bit of plumbing.
kinda like this? Google Image Result for http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/fishfarmer69/IMG_1623.jpg

Do you mind enlightening me? I have no idea how people do these backgrounds, keep hard water lines from building up on a half full tank. How much dirt/rock can you pile up in a tank before the bottom breaks?

Also I want to keep this kind of small I'm thinking like a 50g or 65g max, but rimless with a few plants growing out the top. Something easy to aqua scape, where I don't have to pull my shirt off and pull my hair back to reach the bottom lol.

About the 2 tanks I was thinking of something larger like a 33 or 40 long, fast moving and rocky with some plants growing out of it and driftwood flowing into a deeper more conventional 75g or corner tank but it would flow down like a small rapids or sping not just a fall like a HOB. So I would have a one way river tank flowing into a larger tank via say a fluval FX.

What size tanks are those in the pic? Are they 33 longs or more like Mr. Aqua 12g's?

Yeaahhhhhh I can't afford a 40-50g rimmless tank, I'm looking at like $200 tops on the tank, I still gota get an LED light for it and a filter and substrate.

Edit: I guess a Glasscages 50g is only $265, I could do that Glasscages.com - Online Order Form - 50 Tall (Rimless) Glass Aquarium

And these are cool Glasscages.com - Glass Turtle Tanks / Acrylic Turtle Tanks (Turtle Aquariums)

A little birdy told me its a dollar a gallon for tanks at petco. I cannot confirm nor deny this.

So after much debate and a 4 hour stint in the fish store I have decided on the Fluval 45 Bow, which just happens to be the only rimless bow in existence, the Marineland 45g frameless cube or the Fluval studio 900.

I want something wider and deeper than it is tall so it looks friendly and approachable not tall and intimidating. Also it will make it easier to have the waterfall and plants outside of them aquarium.

Runners up the Fluval M40 and 60.... don't need the stupid filter in the back and it would take modification.

The Fluval F40 and 60... to tall and not deep enough, idk why they have to change the dimensions from the marine ones......... I really like the frosted rim and the integrated canister underneath.

Fluval Studio 600... to narrow and tall.

Fluval 25 premium bow kit... to tall

And the Fluval Vicenza... my favorite one but at $900+ kinda steep....... idk the Studio 900 is like $700ish so I might be able to stretch $900 but its not frameless..... but neither are the studios lol. I was taken by surprise when I found out the Studio's and Vicenza come with T5 HO's and X06 canisters, they suddenly don't look like that bad of deal.

Earlier you said $200 was your limit, now you're more than 4x that. When you start adding in the costs of the pumps, equipment to build your backgrounds, substrate, plants, you're looking at a much more expensive project than you originally set out to start. It's your money though. While the t5 HO are good, you'll probably want to add LED so you can mess with colors and it will look better in my opinion. You just need to sit down and make a pros and cons list between all your choices, draw it out, and make your decision. It's your build and your idea, you'll know what's right.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Earlier you said $200 was your limit, now you're more than 4x that. When you start adding in the costs of the pumps, equipment to build your backgrounds, substrate, plants, you're looking at a much more expensive project than you originally set out to start. It's your money though. While the t5 HO are good, you'll probably want to add LED so you can mess with colors and it will look better in my opinion. You just need to sit down and make a pros and cons list between all your choices, draw it out, and make your decision. It's your build and your idea, you'll know what's right.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Yeah I am haha well for my original $200 was just for the tank and the Marineland rimless cube and 45B tanks would still fall under that considering the Bow comes with a C4 and heater.

Basically I decided to do a Ehiem Aquastyle 9 on my end stand and a separate larger tank in my room for the waterfall scape.

You can also Google planted HOB filter for easy stuff. Google Paludariums and Ripariums.

Some club members of mine have Paludariums.

I don't know if you can see this one clearly. It's wide with shallow glass steps. Might be considered a Riparium. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422779306.755208.jpg

Back
Top Bottom