Wats wrong? smelly water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what the hell is happening, i have one bunched up anacharis plant and i have a greenish tint (green water) and the water smells really bad, i stinks up my room. anything i should do?

The smell is not the plant, and the green water is a free-floating algae bloom. Is your filter working well? Has the filter been rtecently cleaned? When was your last water-change, and how much was it? What have you fed your tank recently? Are all your fish and inverts healthy and accounted for?

ok... well my filter is fairly new, my last water change was about 50% 4 days ago because of the smell,flake food and algae wafers, my fish are pretty healthy. i think it may be a product called cycle that i added but... it does not smell in the bottle...any help??

From the mention of flake food and algae wafers I would almost bet you are feeding way to much food for a start. Cycle will not cause the tank to stink.

I noticed you said fairly new. Is the tank cycled? Could it be excess ammonia?(though it would be hard to get ammonia levels that high unless excessively overfeeding)

scarf said:
I noticed you said fairly new. Is the tank cycled? Could it be excess ammonia?(though it would be hard to get ammonia levels that high unless excessively overfeeding)

If you could actually smell the ammonia in your tank, the water would be so toxic NOTHING could live in it. Most likely its from too much feeding or algea. Can you afford a UV?

well the smell is gone, turns out this bio max pouch for the aquaclear50 was giving the odor. took it out thanks anyways

That pouch had a lot of good bacteria on it. I hope that you have enough to avoid a mini-cycle. Why are you using Cycle anyway?

Back
Top Bottom