Waxy substance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
My shrimp tank is filtered with a sponge powered with an air pump. Every few days I have to get paper toweling and wipe this gross white waxy substance of the air line tubing, and also the heater power cord.
What is this stuff and is it what is responsible for bumping off my shrimp?
(0 ammonia and nitrite, negligible nitrate)

Could you post a picture? You say it's waxy but is it fuzzy like a mold or fungus would be?

sounds like bio-film to me, should be harmless if thats what it is, also a food source for the shrimp

It's not thin and slimy like the biofilm I'm used to- its more like the texture of silicone fresh from the tube. Have you come across anything like that before?

That sounds more like a mold or fungus.

Ugh! If its a mould or fungus it might explain my shrimp deaths (just had another death). I don't understand how they can be breeding AND dying off?
But back to the waxy stuff...
Is there a website you would recommend for more info on moulds and fungi?

I'd just google "molds and fungus in freshwater aquariums". Usually you see mold/fungus on newly added DW. What are your tank parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph? If it is indeed fungus/mold, something is causing it. Do you use any type of water conditioners that aid with slime coat? Just throwing some idea's out there.
How long has it been happening? Also if you wipe it off does it come back quickly? Have you ever tried spot treating it with Hydrogen Peroxide?

Back
Top Bottom