Way over stocked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Shetland i dont trust it either but I just wanted to show that, Yes Max its a nice looking tank.
No offense but there are much bigger tradegies in the world than an overstocked 10 gallon tank.
Uhhhhh im showing people that what you CANT put into a ten gal!

Hmm I am torn on this tank.

Yes it is way overstocked, but it's working for them. Granted I wouldn't want to do all the maintenance this takes. Prob 2 pwc a day.

However , I am a fan of overstocking and I have been doing it for years. One of my tanks is a 55 gal with 2 discus, 2 angels, 20 harlequin rasboras, 5 panda corys, and 5 ottos. It is a fully planted tank and I have a Fluval 305 And a AC 110 on it. I do a pwc once a week about 30% and my tank has been good to go.

I think it's more about planning the filtration and maintenance than anything else. This takes years of experience and I would never recommend this to a beginner.

I am not saying that you should cram 20 oscars into a 5 gal tank. All i am saying is that overstocking can be ok with some thought and planning.

they could get away with putting a couple of cichlids in there, there's plenty of room

It's overstocked in that the discus have not very much room to swim.

A pair of angels could just squeak in by them selves when fully grown. ....perhaps....

AqAdvisor is a bit conservative, but overstocking is not just about the bioload. Those poor discus barely have a foot's length to swim in. They can't be very happy with that. For me, I'm okay with stocking as long as I can keep up with maintenance AND the fish have space to swim and territory.

--Adeeb

I'm sure the discus will help alleviate the overstocking issue in short order.

However , I am a fan of overstocking and I have been doing it for years. One of my tanks is a 55 gal with 2 discus, 2 angels, 20 harlequin rasboras, 5 panda corys, and 5 ottos. It is a fully planted tank and I have a Fluval 305 And a AC 110 on it. I do a pwc once a week about 30% and my tank has been good to go.
This tank doesnt sound over stocked by heaps.
But what i am getting that is that those discus have no where to swim they need a big aqauarium to be able to swim in long lengths.

mmm tasty lol. Black neons are a bit bigger than the regulars tho so maybe not.

--Adeeb

I don't trust that site either. Here is mine:

4 otos
2 green cory
1 juli cory
1 bristlenose pleco
1 lemon tetra
8 glowlight tetra
3 male guppy
1 male betta

Says 119% which is probably about right but I clean it often and there is an airstone. This aquarium has been this way for years without a problem. What I can't get over is how everyone keeps thinking male bettas and guppies don't get along. The same thing I have observed with all three of my bettas when I add tetras, otos, guppies or anything else is that they chase them around for a few days, decide they are not a threat, and make friends. Even male guppies are absolutely fine. It also says you need 4 of each Cory but says nothing about how otos school. The juli schools with the greens too.

As far as the 10, it would be fine without the discus. Just remove the angels when they get a little bigger.

Aqadvisor claims me to be at 225%, which may be the case when everyone reaches adulthood, but for right now, it seems to be doing okay. I change the water twice a week (25%). Overall, everyone gets along peacefully. I will be purchasing a 75g just after the first of the year, and will probably move the whole tankful into there and make my current 30g a tetra and shrimp tank (planted).
AquStockImage.php

Back
Top Bottom