ways i save money on supplies, etc...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I thought this would be a nice thread for those of us on a budget.... Things I use around the house/have on hand/can get cheaper to save money on supplies:

Rather than purchasing mesh bags for filter media, i use old panty hose. I clean them well, cut the amount i need, fill with media and tie it off on each end.

Of course, we all know this one, but if someone new comes along and reads this, the best, cheapest substrate = pool filter sand (PFS). I got 100 lbs yesterday for $13 and i only had to rinse it 3 times to get it ready for the tank.

I buy natural and ceramic decorations at landscaping supply stores rather than pet stores. Saves me a ton of money.

Buying supplies online can often get you a better deal.

DIY where you can. Sponge/canister filters are really pretty easy to make

Many members here will trade plants/fish. Check the barter forum regularly

Garage sales are your friend.

Fresh veggies can feed your fish in a pinch

Anyone else have any creative money saving tips?

Your list is quite thorough and I've used a couple of them in my experience. That being said, I have saved a ton of money, heartache and disenfranchment by being a member of this forum. (y)

Being a member of an Aquarium Club is a definite plus.

Any other tips?

Excellent post ! Here are a few additions:

1. don't spend money on ick medications - heat is all you need and you won't have to worry about a mini-cycle after treatment

2. don't spend money on "water clearing" or algae distroying additives - they are only temporary fixes - the unlying issue needs to be solved to ensure the original problem doesn't return

3. use your discarded tank water to water and fertilize your garden

4. avoid the expense of replacing fish due to "new tank syndrome" by properly cycling your tank, using either a "low bioload" or "fishless cycling" method

kick start your cycle on your new tanks:

get a clear tupperware disposable container. Add 2 cups of clean substrate for the new tank. Add a little substrate from established tank. drill some holes in the lid for the tupperware. put some bioballs or ceramic circles (bio filter media) on top in a cut off pair of panty hose bag.

submerge in established tank for a week or so with an airstone, before you buy your new tank.

when you get your new tank, set it up. put the biobag in the filter and sprinkle the established substrate over your new substrate.

This will help kick start your cycle. I have started doing this, keeping a small container of established substrate and a biofilter bag in my larger established tank for emergencies.

Seems to be helping.

For DIY hoods over small tanks, wire 24" bulbs or smaller in series rather than each individually. This is because a 2F32T8 ballast is cheaper than a 4F32T8 ballast.

Use flat white exterior paint as a reflector. Sure not as good as an AH Supply reflector but for say $1 or whatever its a pretty good value!

Buy electronic timers at HD or a hardware store. They are $2-$4 cheaper than the marineland ones you find at fish stores. Also avoid buying lightbulbs at fish stores. You can find equivelants at hardware stores for a little less as well.

Don't listen to your LFS person. They don't know anything. And you don't really need to buy what they just said. Okay there are exceptions to this but I'm being general.

4. avoid the expense of replacing fish due to "new tank syndrome" by properly cycling your tank, using either a "low bioload" or "fishless cycling" method
Is debatable,

Learn from your mistakes:
Don't repeat the discovery of a lesson learnt.

USE COMMON SENSE!!

Matt :)

A very big way to save money on filters, decor, and everything else you can buy at a LFS....

Lets say you want an xP3 from petsmart.
Go online, print out the page with your product on it. Take it into the petstore, ask for a manager, show them the paper, go get the product, check out...save around 40%.

Done.
Most cases, cheaper than ebay...because they pricematch and don't even factor in shipping...

Don't use carbon in your filter, except to take out medications.
Don't use ammonia or nitrate reducing pellets, unless really needed for some reason. PWC's are the best way to get those parameters down.
The only thing a healthy, non-planted tank should need at each water change is dechlor. Don't use any chemicals, unless absolutely needed.
Don't throw away filter cartridges when they get a little dirty. Rinse in tank water and reuse, until they start falling apart.

HTH

Instead of buying a new filter insert for my filter ($5.99 each), I just rip the material off the old one and replace it with pillow stuffing tied on with fishing line.

Works well and dirt cheap.

Bargains can be had at fish club auctions. At our last meeting, I picked up 3 Pseudeotrpheus flavus for $3.00, some food for $1.00, and sold some plants for $10.00. At the previous meeting I picked up a 20 gal long with glass lid for $2.00, and a solid oak cabinet for a 48" x 18" tank for $20.00.
The dollar store can be a source for things you can use such as plastic pot scrubbers for bio filter media, assorted strainers, and even lighting.
The last tank I set up (15 gal for the P. flavus) has substrate and rocks gathered from the shore of Lake Ontario, for free. The dollar store strainers, allowed me to get the grain size I wnted for the substrate. The beauty of this, other than the price, is that the rocks and substrate match, since they came from the same spot.
I use AC HOBs, since the sponge inserts can be doubled up, and last for years ( I have some that are over 10 years old). I won't buy any other brand, that requires replacement pads or cartridges.
I installed a canister water filter, with carbon cartridges, for my cold water source for water changes; no dechlor to buy. Filter cartridges are cheap, as was the canister that holds them, and they remove the chlorine. They last six months or more, for my usage.

Always check your local recycling barn if you have one. Every time I go to mine, I always see plenty of smaller tanks (10-29 gal) in good shape ready to take home for free. Add in everything else I can find at my local recycling barn, and I can pretty much get anything I need. I haven't had any need to bring those smaller tanks home yet, but if I end up needing one, I will.

look for deals online with free shipping. i have been using petsmart dot com this summer due to the free shipping. add in the fact that the online store is way cheaper then the brick and mortor and free shipping is to boot.

the catch is, you have to purchase a curtain amount of products before the shipping is free. (normally 50 -75 bucks.) i just wait until i need a few things and 3 days later it's on my door step.

You can also print out the online Petsmart price and they'll price match it at the store. I've never had a problem with it.

Heck the manager told me some lady brought back a half bag of dog food (20lbs out of 50lbs) and said her dogs didn't like it. They still gave her a refund!

Burks said:
You can also print out the online Petsmart price and they'll price match it at the store. I've never had a problem with it.

Heck the manager told me some lady brought back a half bag of dog food (20lbs out of 50lbs) and said her dogs didn't like it. They still gave her a refund!

i agree that price matching is a great option, but the manager at my local petsmart will NOT match the price. so i am forced to purchase needed things online or paying an unreasonable amount of cash at the store.

the other good thing about online shopping and free shipping is you save on gas also.

Back
Top Bottom