ways to raze o2 levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello everyone i currently have a 36 gallon heavily planted aquarium. i have a fluval 305 canister filter, plant lights, circulation fan, 200watt heater, plantable substrate, tons of live plants. stock includes 12 lamp eye tetras, one golden goraumi, 6 oto cats, and three cory cats.

i want to know how to add 02 to the water without using a bubble stone? any ideas would be greatly appriciated....

Movement on the water surface or agitation through the return side of the fluval will create a greater gas exchange. You will loose co2 gasses if you have a setup though

it is a very good setup that functions without co2. i only have a little bit of surface agitation... its more like swirles and ripples.

i am wondering if i could put a hole in the water return tubing and plug a areator in to the tube?

the only thing i see that might bother me is that once i have a hole.... then i have a hole if you know what i mean....

most of the fish aka the lamp eye tetras, golden goraumi, and cory cats have been surface breathing every once in a while... like quick dashes to the surface once in a while.. i have noted from expiriance this often means a lack of o2...

It's not unusual for corys and gouramis to surface for air from time to time. A healthy planted tank with good filtration is going to have plenty of oxygen available.

You have room for a little bit more, I'd probably add another 3 or 4 corys and if you wanted maybe a small group 4-6 of another small schooling fish.

Yeah thanks I do 25 percent water changes weekly and have really good filtration. A fluval 305 on a 36 gallon is really awesome. I have been very happy with this setup. I'm going to keep up regular maintenance and trim plants once in a while. as for the aquascape and setup I plan on leaving it alone once I get the rummy nose. It has taken me years to develop and design this aquarium. I am not going to change it for years.

I think cories and gouramis are both obligate air breathers. They'll be going up for air regarless of o2 sat levels.

Also, for maximum gas exchange, use a spraybar either right above or right below the surface.

Back
Top Bottom