Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

weather getting hot

As summer arrives the average temperature of where I live is 30C (86F). When im home obviously I turn on the AC but when im out the temperature of the tank easily reaches 28c (83f) which is too hot for my shrimps (I have tetras n plants too).

Without leaving my AC on 24/7. What can I do to maintain a cooler tanks temperature? Would blowing a fan at it help?

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope someone answers this. It gets in the 90's to 100 here and I don't turn my air conditioning on until it gets that hot because I am outside a lot and don't want to get used to the ac. Then I still keep it in the 80's so I don't get to cool and not want to go outside.

I have seen chillers for tanks but they are expensive. For a small tank I don't think it would be worth it.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Hope someone answers this. It gets in the 90's to 100 here and I don't turn my air conditioning on until it gets that hot because I am outside a lot and don't want to get used to the ac. Then I still keep it in the 80's so I don't get to cool and not want to go outside.

I have seen chillers for tanks but they are expensive. For a small tank I don't think it would be worth it.
What about putting some ice in a bottle do the lid up and dunk it in the tank that will work well. Or fill a bottle with water freeze it then chuck it in the tank???
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

hope someone has good advice. I have an axolotl tank and we are supposed to have close to 90 by the weekend. I have frozen water bottles on hand and two fans for the top. Hoping that will keep it cold enough for them! I've been checking around locally for a cheaper used chiller hoping I find one soon
Old 05-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Get little clip on fans and run them. Home made chiller. Just have them so they fan the top of the water.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com