Weather loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've read that weather loaches could live in a tank with goldfish with minimal problems, and I think they're awesome. I'm getting a 50 (or 60) gallon tank for my goldfish in the next several months and I want to put some weather loaches in with them. Can anyone who has them (or knows about them) tell me if they would appreciate a mild current in the tank? What kind of substrate would be best for them? Any other important info about keeping loaches? Thanks!:bandit:

I've got a weathered loach named Falcore, and he is awesome. He plays around in the 55 gallon tank. I really do need to get him a friend, since they like company from their own species. I know they do enjoy a softer substrate, since they like to borrow under it. I can always tell when it is about to storm or rain cause he starts going crazy. I don't keep him with gold fish so I wouldn't know, but I hear they should be fine with them and does enjoy the colder water.

Heh, Falcore, good name.

What substrate could I use for weather loaches and goldfish. I know I need a substrate that isn't sharp and can be dug in by the loaches which probably means sand. However I don't want light colored sand cuz the goldfish poop would show up really clearly. Any darker sands or other substrate that would work other than tahitian moon sand which sounds like its sharp?

you can use sand or pea-like gravel. Really, any sort of substrate is fine as long as it doesn't have sharp bits that will scratch them up. I'm using pool sand with my kuhlis, but it's light colored so that wouldn't work with goldfish poo.

Pool filter sand is better for the dojo loach, as for the goldfish, depends on the size of the goldies. I have larger goldfish and they like to suck up and clean the gravel and spit it out. Dojo loaches prefer cooler water, you can shorten their life spans by putting them in tropical conditions.

Back
Top Bottom