WEEK 3 PICS!!! Check them out and tell me what you think....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks... it's been a lot of work with the water problems I've had but it's getting under control. Now if I can just get rid of the slime algae LOL

first of all, awesome pics! :D definate inspiration as i am getting ready to set up a 55gal planted tank! this may be a silly question, but i was wondering how you go about cleaning the substrate with so much of it planted? do the plants pretty much take care of it, absorbing nutrients and whatnot?

The only silly questions is the one that isn't asked :D

When I do my water changes once a week I try and get in between the plants as best as I can to get the noticable crap up. Then over the glosso I just lightly run the vac over it to do the same. Every once in a while I'll end up pulling up some of the glosso but I just replant afterwards.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Jeff

...and yes, that does mean that 1) some of the crap becomes nutrients used by the plants and 2) that some of the crap simply gets left behind. I think you'll find that in an average densely-planted aquarium, the substrate will be fairly full of waste , but that this will not affect the tank's biological filter, as the plants tend to absorb the nutrients.

In order to combat the problem of cleaning, I always feed my fish in the same area of the tank. Most of the uneaten food settles in the lightly-planted area below, and I can vacuum the gravel here thoroughly.

thanks for the info :D since this is my first tank i'm setting up, i'm not familliar with how powerful a gravel vac is and what gets picked up and whats left in place.

i'll be sure and post anymore questions in a new spot, as to save this space for all those oogle-ing at aquariumfreaks rad tank! :mrgreen:

Looking good ya freak!

If you think slime algaes bad. Wait till you get your hands on those dry ferts and experience BGA and BBA blooms 8O . Be very VERY careful with the ferts. Make sure you calculate several times and are confident before adding them. If not, ask for help.

BTW.....hows the ICH? You never followed up.

Ich is almost gone... just a couple of spots on my black skirt tetra's.

This slime sucks, I'm worried that it's going to kill my glosso. What can I do about it?

And I should be getting my ferts this week and I'll be sure to to post exactly what I am planning on doing before I do it.

I'm going to finish my water tests and start another posts.

Glad you guys are enjoying the pics.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom