weekend feeder ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
i'm about to be out of town for 7 days. I have 6 tetras + 1 pleco in a 10g with a java fern, and a betta in a separate 1.6g tank.

Do i need to get a food block thingy? I'm having trouble finding someone to fish-sit.

-David

Go automatic feeder...those blocks are garbage.

I would agree Toirtis. The only thing those do is make a mess of your tank. YUCK!

I would do a good water change before you leave and then use the automatic feeders.

Are there any good automatic feeders that are cheap? I've been thinking about investing in some but I have 4 tanks and not much $$$.

the weekend feeders / vacation feeders seem to be weaksauce :| i put one in over thanksgiving (i lived in a dorm so).. just seems to over feed and add a bunch of waste (did a water change as soon as I got back).. plus it seemed like it overfed the pleco, cause all he did was suck on it the whole time.

I would either go for an autofeeder or find someone to feed them once during the middle of the week.

I agree with everyone else. We tried the so called Weekend Feeders. I put it into the tank and left thinking that the fish would be fine for a week. I came back and the block didn't even start to break apart. The fish didn't eat off of it at all. We had one dead fish and the others were starving. I would invest in an automatic fish feeder as well. It may cost you at the beginning but it's better than coming home to dead fish.

I really wouldn't worry about it for 7 days...your fish should be fine. If you can't find someone to feed them, feed them well and do a water change before you leave. They will be hungry when you return, but shouldn't suffer any ill effects from it. The block feeders are garbage and shouldn't even be sold at all. I've seen the auto feeder at Wal Mart, but I can't say if it works well or not. Perhaps you can tell us how yours does after you've had time to play with it some? I would lean more towards the type that has individual hoppers that drop into the tank as it rotates around. This would seem to be the most reliable design IMO.

the only fish that you can use weekend feeders are goldfish. They'll eat jsut about anything. Trust me, I never had problems with them but my other tank with the platies, well didn't do as well.

I would lean more towards the type that has individual hoppers that drop into the tank as it rotates around. This would seem to be the most reliable design IMO.
Do you know which manufacurers use this design?

The autofeeder are fine for short term use, but they clog up after a while. At least the one I had did (got it at walmart). I tried it with flakes and pellets. IMO its ok for a week or so. You should get one that can be adjusted for the amout you want delivered.

install the autofeeder at least for couple of days b4 you travel. you must ensure the reliability.

Back
Top Bottom