weird algae in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Icthyological Person

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29-Gallon tank with sand that has some strange algae-like stuff growing on the sand. it is dark-green and brown and has been around for weeks. I try to get rid of it during water changes, but it keeps coming back! What do I do? :(

what kind of sand are you using? i know a lot of sands like play sand and PFS have a lot of silica in them, which can cause the brown stuff (i've got a bunch on the glass below the sand level, can't seem to rid of it either)

Is it a newer tank? If it's brown algae (diatoms) it's common in virtually all new tanks. Trust me, I'm dealing with it now. As mommytron said, it's normally fueled by the silicates leeching out of new substrate, decorations, etc..., as well as the water conditions caused while your tank is cycling Its supposed to go away as quickly as it came once it's used up the silica in the tank. If it's caused by silicates actually found in your tap water (there's a test kit for this), you've either gotta start using RO water or running a resin in your filter that will remove them. I'd just give it a few weeks or a couple months and see if it goes away on it's own.

what kind of sand are you using? i know a lot of sands like play sand and PFS have a lot of silica in them, which can cause the brown stuff (i've got a bunch on the glass below the sand level, can't seem to rid of it either)

I use sand made specifically for aquariums, not play sand.

Is it a newer tank? If it's brown algae (diatoms) it's common in virtually all new tanks. Trust me, I'm dealing with it now. As mommytron said, it's normally fueled by the silicates leeching out of new substrate, decorations, etc..., as well as the water conditions caused while your tank is cycling Its supposed to go away as quickly as it came once it's used up the silica in the tank. If it's caused by silicates actually found in your tap water (there's a test kit for this), you've either gotta start using RO water or running a resin in your filter that will remove them. I'd just give it a few weeks or a couple months and see if it goes away on it's own.

The tank is not brand new, but it is still sort of new, it's had fish since late November, so that's five months running.

Icthyological Person said:
The tank is not brand new, but it is still sort of new, it's had fish since late November, so that's five months running.

It took the diatoms around 3 months to start showing up in mine. I've heard of it showing up a lot earlier, or a lot later. I'm not saying thats what it is...but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

This site has some decent info on the different types. http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

my diatoms showed up late as well. I do believe the silica in my PFS is what causes them to stick around. going on a year my 20g has been running and ever since 3 or 4 months is I've gotten brown algae between the glass and the substrate. the otos in my other tank help control it, the snails do ok in the 20g but I have to manually remove it a lot.

It does sound like diatoms... you can stir the sand up and cover them, but they'll burn themselves out eventually. Any substrate can cause this. I think it's just more noticable with lighter colored sands. It's pretty much a fact of life for a tank less than a year old, but can happen in any tank.

I picked up a phosphate / silica absorbing filter pad at the lfs yesterday. Probably won't help, but for $9 I figured I'd give it a try. I'll let you know if it helps with mine.

It's not super clear, but it looks like diatoms (maybe with a little green algae too). You've just gotta wait it out. My Otos are going to town on it though. Those are officially my favorite fish ever. I'll let you know if the phosphate / silica absorbing resin helps.

Since it's so easily brushed off...I'd bet some corys would help out since they're churning up the substrate all the time.

Since it's so easily brushed off...I'd bet some corys would help out since they're churning up the substrate all the time.

I have two cories right now, and an oto, I had more cories and another another oto, but they died. I'll probably get some more cories.

eco23 said:
It took the diatoms around 3 months to start showing up in mine. I've heard of it showing up a lot earlier, or a lot later. I'm not saying thats what it is...but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

This site has some decent info on the different types. http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

My tank also took about three months for them to show up. I scrubbed them well my bf scrubbed them of the tank but it hadn't come back since. Mine isn't in the sand though... Maybe I should check that out. I dont know how to help you there but I do know that sand is most likely the cause. The sand I used was play sand...

Back
Top Bottom