Weird algae on java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyINCo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone ever seen greenish brown, thick hairy clumps of algae form on the underside of a java fern leaf?

Tank has been planted for almost 2 weeks. Finishing a fish less cycle. So no clean up crew yet. Any recommendations for when I do get a cleaning crew in a pool filter sand bottom tank? 30 gal tall. I would assume plecos are out of the question with sand. Cories and shrimp? I'm clueless there, my other tanks are pea gravel and have plecos.

Anyway, if you know what kind of algae I have I'd be much abliged. No pics yet.

Can you get some pictures? Are you sure it's not just roots growing from plantlets? Java ferns reproduce by growing new plants from older leaves. When they get large enough they detach, float around and attach elsewhere. you can also remove them yourself once they get 2-3 leaves.

Nearly all my ferns have plantlets on them right now, if you could post a pic would probably be the quickest way to get to the bottom of this.

Oh wow I just saw you guys posted this. My app didn't update for whatever reason. Yes, this is exactly what is happening. COOL! thanks for the pic Bosco72!!! You guys rock!

Back
Top Bottom