Weird Feathery stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I have noticed these many small white feathery thingos clinging to the glass of my tank. My pleco just died. whhat are the white feathery things and how to get rid of? The picture shows just what one white feathery thingo looks like.

Are they teeny tiny? I have seen lots of these things on my glass, and unless I look very very closely, they just look like water spots you would see on a glass or something. If it is that, I can tell you that its nothing to worry about. I don't know exactly what it is, but if it bugs you, you can just wipe it off. If you look closely at any plants or decor you have in the tank they will probably be on there too.

Are u sure its hydra? I no that theres is no ammonia but i havn't be able to get my hands on a nitrite or nitrate test yet.

Well, that's how my students have drawn it. In any event, I'm guessing the nitrate levels are elevated. There is excess nutrients and you are seeing these lovely "white feathery thingos." Cut down on the feedings and increase the PWCs.

I guess that this is the nitrogen spike part of cycliing. I should put some fish in after the cycling. I've also noticed tiny tiny dust particle sized white tadpole-ish bugs darting through the water, on the glass and floating in t he current. What is this? How can i kill both hydra and these bugs without harming the baccteria ccolony? Currently there is no fish.

Back
Top Bottom