Weird film on top of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed this weird film on top of my two aquariums... When I did a water sample on both the water in the tube for the bug tank was clear but the one for the little tank had a bunch of skank in the tube from the top of the water.. It looks really weird and I don't know if it's bad for the aquariums or not? The one that looks more swirled is my big tank which looks more mixed up because the filter is stronger. The small tank is more of a solid "sheet" and the filter doesn't stir it up. It's not thick but it is something.. Here are pics the first ones are of the small tank, and the last one is of the big tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412824839.364177.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412824856.484756.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412824878.667102.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412824894.043664.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412824903.682018.jpg

The one of the water line is trying to show how much skank was on the glass when the water starts draining... Thanks guys please help me if you know what it is!

Sent from my iPhone

You need to increase your water flow.

May the force be with you.

Your Tank

Hello cher...

Your filtration equipment needs a minimum gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons, to keep the surface agitated for proper gas exchange. If you don't have this, add an air stone to keep the tank water moving. What's your water change routine? Water that stays in the tank too long changes chemically and not for the better. Smaller tanks require more frequent water changes. The addition of floating plants can also help maintain better water conditions.

Just a couple of suggestions.

B

I have noticed this weird film on top of my two aquariums... When I did a water sample on both the water in the tube for the bug tank was clear but the one for the little tank had a bunch of skank in the tube from the top of the water.. It looks really weird and I don't know if it's bad for the aquariums or not? The one that looks more swirled is my big tank which looks more mixed up because the filter is stronger. The small tank is more of a solid "sheet" and the filter doesn't stir it up. It's not thick but it is something.. Here are pics the first ones are of the small tank, and the last one is of the big tank. View attachment 252294View attachment 252296View attachment 252297View attachment 252298View attachment 252299

The one of the water line is trying to show how much skank was on the glass when the water starts draining... Thanks guys please help me if you know what it is!

Sent from my iPhone

Still the water and use paper towels pressed very very lightly on the water surface to soak up the oil. Do not do anything with the tank for 1 day and check the water in the morning. If the scum has returned you need to increase your mechanical filtration.

If it doesn't reappear check again after feeding. Some foods contain oils that may reach the surface.

Make sure the bucket you use for water changes is rinsed thoroughly before the next change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The filter in the big tank isn't adjustable and the one in the smaller tank is as high as I can go, however I have the output water going against the glass so it would stir up the water. I will change that today, if that doesn't help I will do the paper towel thing, if that doesn't help do another water change, and if that still doesn't help make another post. I do water changes between every week to two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone

I got that stuff too. You need to make the water surface turbulent and you're probably overfeeding the fish. Processed flakes and pellets tend to make the water surface oily like that. Definitely add an airstone if your filter can't make more water movement. Good luck! :)

I changed the way the way comes out and now it's stirring up the top of the water in the small tank. Def not over feeding in the small tank because I don't feed them. It's just shrimp and they are eating some algae and I put in a small part of an algae wafer one time and they didn't eat it, haven't fed them since and I see them cleaning off the plants all of the time. In the big tank they eat everything I feed them.. What doesnt get eaten goes down the the bottom and small fish snatch it up from there or my sucker fish eat it..

Sent from my iPhone

IMO it may be the remains of an algal -off. If you have had any brown algae (diatoms) in your water, it may be that.

As I see you have live plants, it could also be the beginnings of the growth of duckweed. Believe it or not, duckweed is a flowering plant, although it mostly multiplies by division. In our plant tanks at work, I notice a green 'slick' on the surface. If I don't clear it by opening the overflow up, it develops into duckweed. This tiny plant likes fairly static conditions.

Other than this, it may be solids in your tap water. Our tap water at work (we don't use it for the fish) leaves a thin brown film in our washing up bowl! Nice!

IMO it may be the remains of an algal -off. If you have had any brown algae (diatoms) in your water, it may be that.

As I see you have live plants, it could also be the beginnings of the growth of duckweed. Believe it or not, duckweed is a flowering plant, although it mostly multiplies by division. In our plant tanks at work, I notice a green 'slick' on the surface. If I don't clear it by opening the overflow up, it develops into duckweed. This tiny plant likes fairly static conditions.

Other than this, it may be solids in your tap water. Our tap water at work (we don't use it for the fish) leaves a thin brown film in our washing up bowl! Nice!

Very interesting about the duck weed and the diatoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have some duckweed in both aquariums... When I bought plants at a local pet store there was duckweed in the tanks and it came home with me... I'm going to try the paper towel and water canoe now. Should I et rid of the duck weed?

Sent from my iPhone

I have the same thing in my planted sump. Overall, my filtration rate is fine (380 gal/min in a 55 gal.) but the circulation in the sump is pretty slow. I deliberately decreased the circulation in the sump and that's when I started noticing the film.

Also, the baby Apple Snails swim upside down on the surface since decreasing water circulation. :)

Back
Top Bottom