Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

weird fish in my feeders

i bought some feedder fish this morning and placed some in my tank for my knife fish... the lights are off cause my knife fish won't feed with them turned on, i noticed a fish swimming vertically at the side of the tank trying to fight the current from my filter. i ignored it and thought that it's just a wounded feeder, but after half an hour i checked my tank, and saw that the fish stopped swimming and was actually resting on the glass, it has fins under the belly so it could hold on. i took it from the tank and placed it inside my small pen, it 's face looks like a goby, the head is round and has globe fins, initially it was dark in color , but when after an hour it turned to light brown with some black markings... any idea what fish is this? :P

Old 01-14-2005, 05:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AlonelyCody Send a message via Yahoo to AlonelyCody
Could it be a dwarf puffer? hummm...interesting...do you have a pic of it?

55 gallon - Live plants, gravel:
3 Bala Sharks, 4 Tiger Barbs, 3 Long Finned Rosy Barbs, 1 Tire Track Eel, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Pecock Eel ,1 Chinese Algae Eater.

45 gallon - Live plants, sand.
6 Cichlids = 1 Pink Convict, 1 Electric Yellow Hap, 1 Kenyi, 1 MUTT, 1 Johanni Mbuna, 1 Jacobfreibergi Peacock, 1 Plecostomus.

1 gallon - SW - crushed coral, live rock. **
4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs, 2 Astraea Turbo Snail.
Hitchikers - 1 green shroom, 2 polyps, and one muscle.

1 gallon - SW - crushed coral, live rock. **
4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs.
Hitchikers - 4 yellow polyps.

**10 gallon sump attached to both the 1 gallons.

10 gallon - FW sand, rock.
30ish Cichlid fry.

30 gallon - DOWN - Awating FW or SW
AlonelyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
it 's face looks like a goby, the head is round and has globe fins, initially it was dark in color , but when after an hour it turned to light brown with some black markings
Possibly a bumble bee goby. How large is it? I have a pic in my gallery of a bumble bee goby.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would guess, as you did, that it is probably a goby of some sort. Considering that you're in the Phillipines there's no telling what sort of 'exotic' (to us North Americans) fish get into the ponds where the feeders are being bred.

I'd love to see a picture of this 'mystery fish'. Then I might have a decent stab at identifying it, though gobies are notoriously hard to identify.

-Joe
Old 01-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

unfortunately i have no way of taking it's picture i noticed that it has some kind of horizontal greenish lines on it's face... it's body is only 1" and color brown with black vertical stripes, i checked in the net and i found a photo of a brazilian pinstripe goby and they look alike... oh how i wish it's a bumblebee goby but i think it's not. actually there were 2 of this fish but since i ignored them at first, the other one i think was eaten by my knife fish
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Amazing!

I too have come accross a baby mystery fish.
The LFS owner found a baby fish, that we beleive is a goby, in his ghost shrimp tank, and set it aside for me. I have it in my 10 gallon now, and hes quite a character. Hes almost an inch, id say. And he stays to the bottom. When i come to the tank he gets really excited and gets up against the glass and swims up and down. When i feed him, he likes to 'hunt' the food. I thin its a baby 'pond' or sleeper goby. Hes light green with dark brown broken markings
1 fan dance goby, 1 drawf redtip gourami, 3 silver hatchet fish, 1 baby blue zebra cihlid, 3 Green Panchax killifish, 1 madagascar rainbow, 1 dwarf neon rainbow, 1 aquatic frog

90 Gallon
1 CAE, 1 giant panda cory,2 green spotted cory,
2 giant danio. 1 large tinfoil barb, 1 rosy barb, 1 marbled goby,
1 purple spotted gudgeon, 1 jade goby, 1 red dwarf gouromi, 2 clown loaches,4 tiger barbs, 5 weather loaches, 3 blood parrots,1 firemouth cichlid, 1 goldfish, 1 Electric yellow cichlid, 1 Auratus cichlid, 1 Zebra Tilapia cichlid,
1 Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid, 1 purple peacock cichlid, 2 striped barbs, 1 figure 8 puffer, 1 electric catfish, 1 african butterfly fish
kukerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sdveirs Send a message via MSN to sdveirs Send a message via Yahoo to sdveirs
Cute fish, I hope you don't feed him to your "knife fish" ?

What is a knife fish? Got a link anyone to a site so i can see?

http://www.veirs.org/photos/tanks.jpg

10 Gallon w/ 1 male betta and alge eater (not sure what kind), looking for something to add with the betta.

Scott's Blog
http://www.veirs.org
sdveirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a pic of one of my bb gobies. You definitely have something different!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
perhaps you can find him/her Here

hth

Tags
feeders, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com