weird fish in my feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought some feedder fish this morning and placed some in my tank for my knife fish... the lights are off cause my knife fish won't feed with them turned on, i noticed a fish swimming vertically at the side of the tank trying to fight the current from my filter. i ignored it and thought that it's just a wounded feeder, but after half an hour i checked my tank, and saw that the fish stopped swimming and was actually resting on the glass, it has fins under the belly so it could hold on. i took it from the tank and placed it inside my small pen, it 's face looks like a goby, the head is round and has globe fins, initially it was dark in color , but when after an hour it turned to light brown with some black markings... any idea what fish is this? :D :p

it 's face looks like a goby, the head is round and has globe fins, initially it was dark in color , but when after an hour it turned to light brown with some black markings
Possibly a bumble bee goby. How large is it? I have a pic in my gallery of a bumble bee goby.

I would guess, as you did, that it is probably a goby of some sort. Considering that you're in the Phillipines there's no telling what sort of 'exotic' (to us North Americans) fish get into the ponds where the feeders are being bred.

I'd love to see a picture of this 'mystery fish'. Then I might have a decent stab at identifying it, though gobies are notoriously hard to identify.

-Joe

unfortunately i have no way of taking it's picture :( i noticed that it has some kind of horizontal greenish lines on it's face... it's body is only 1" and color brown with black vertical stripes, i checked in the net and i found a photo of a brazilian pinstripe goby and they look alike... oh how i wish it's a bumblebee goby but i think it's not. actually there were 2 of this fish but since i ignored them at first, the other one i think was eaten by my knife fish :wink: :cry:

Attachments

• brazps1a.jpg
    brazps1a.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 286
Amazing!

I too have come accross a baby mystery fish.
The LFS owner found a baby fish, that we beleive is a goby, in his ghost shrimp tank, and set it aside for me. I have it in my 10 gallon now, and hes quite a character. Hes almost an inch, id say. And he stays to the bottom. When i come to the tank he gets really excited and gets up against the glass and swims up and down. When i feed him, he likes to 'hunt' the food. I thin its a baby 'pond' or sleeper goby. Hes light green with dark brown broken markings

Back
Top Bottom