Weird growth on silicone tubing and sealant in recently cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyhorse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just finished cycling a new tank using the fishless cycling method. Ammonia reading zero. Nitrite 0. I have still not introduced fish, and have been feeding the tank with a little (about 1ppm) ammonia (every 2nd day) to keep the biological filter working.

This morning I noticed some weird white/brown dots all over the silicone in the tank - both edge seals and air tubing. See attached 3 photos (one of the air intake tube, one of the side edge sealant, and one of the empty tank showing clear water). Whatevere it is, it does come off when I rubbed a small area with a cotton bud, but that left white flakes floating in the water afterwards.

Any ideas as to what this is? And what to do? Now I have bits of this stuff which I rubbed off being taken into my filter media.

Attachments

• airintake.jpg
    airintake.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 118
  • silicone.jpg
    silicone.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 138
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 134
Hard to say what that is. My first thought was that it was just hard water deposits, but that wouldn't show up on the sealant. Maybe some silicate-loving algae? Just monitor for leaks, I guess. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I have this on some of my tanks air lines. The clear ones are the worst for this. I wouldnt worry about it, just keep an eye that is doesnt spread. Once you get some fish in your tank they will pick at it. My snails love my air line, the keep it pretty clean too.

I had this stuff on the seals of my breeding tank. When my baby tiger barbs got bigger, it all disappeared, they either picked it off, or ate it. None got sick or died, so it doesn't harm them. But it does reappear when the tank is fish-less. Im not that worried about it, its easy to clean off whenever i plan to use the tank again.

Looks like some type of algae to me. Supposedly all new tanks get a type of algae outbreak, from what I have read anyways. Doesn't seem like anything too bad. Welcome to AA:)

Back
Top Bottom