Weird Heater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kryat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 20 gal that is in the middle of a fishless cycle, but the weird thing is that this tank is ALWAYS hot. I can't seem to get it any less than 82 degrees no matter what the heater is at... I've had the heater set as low as 76 and the air tempurature in the room is 75, but it just wont seem to budge.

I don't think the heater is busted, but i suspose I could try a different one. Is there any easy way to fix a strange thermostat?

I don't know, i'm just confused. :roll:

If the room temp is 75 and the heater is set at 76 and the tank stays at 82 either the heater or the thermometer is broke. What kind of thermometer do you have. You could buy a stick on one really cheap just to see if it matches the temp reading of the other one. If so I'd buy a new heater. A broken heater could go haywire and fry your fish. Are you sure your room doesn't go above 75?

Look for a broken heater, or a bad thermometer, like talloulou says. Remeber, the room thermometer could be off too. Look for other heat sources, such as direct sunlight or heat vents (i know, not likely a vent in august). Aquarium lights will also add heat. I suppose there is even a little heat from the filter too, but that is a stretch. I have an unheated tank that reads above room temp as well, by a few degrees.

unplug the heater over night and see if the temp drops. sometimes low quality heaters will run without turning on the 'on' light.

otherwise, coralife makes a nice digital thermometer for under $10 that is very accurate.

Back
Top Bottom