Weird looking water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came home today and the 29 and 10 gal tanks look cloudy. It looks like their are white particles floating around in it. The plants and driftwood are covered in a white looking coating. They aren't solid white, but you can tell there is something there. It's only in the 29 and 10 gal tanks. The only similarities I can find is that they both have the same type of driftwood. Can anyone tell me what this is? The fish seem fine but the tanks look gross.

I haven't tested the water yet. The wood has been in the tank for several months and I bought it at the same store at the same time. Maybe a connection?

No overfeeding. He said that he actually forgot to feed the 10 gal tank for a couple days. It looks like its snowing in the tanks.

I haven't felt the stuff yet but I am going to tare the tanks down. I don't know what this stuff is but it looks weird. The fish in the 29 are being taken back to the lfs to make room for the fry. They don't seem stressed.

Any ideas?

This is probably way off, but I'll give it a whirl. I remember reading a thread where someone's DIY CO2 injector backed up and there was a lot of white goo in the tank... You don't happen to have your own CO2 injectors on those tanks, do you?

Nope. These tanks have fake plants. I'm going to try and snap some pics of what it looks like, but the pic quality will probably be pretty bad.

I would give it a week before intervening. I remember having a tank that had been up for a couple of months once go cloudy. then it returned to normal after 3 or 4 days. Best I could figure was that there was some sort of bloom that was self limited. If you feel you must do something, I suppose a water change might be OK, but I would not do anything and let it play itself out.

Do you think I should take all the decor out and clean the white stuff off of them? It looks really gross.

The plants in the tank on the right side. It's not a great pic, but it did pick up the "coating" look.

Attachments

• 2_138.jpg
    2_138.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 44
I would clean it off and change the water. I would hate to look at that. I can't beleive it would do any harm.

Rich

It won't hurt to clean it and water change, but if its not over you might have to do it again. Its up to you. Whatever it is will run its course I bet.

What kind of filters are you running FF? If you recall, I had a similar problem with my 75 gallon and discovered it was from a buildup of particulate matter in the intake hoses.

Good point JC! White crud can accumulate inside the hoses of your canisters, and then with the shut down, start up, and jostling of maintenance get dislodged and dispersed throughout your tank! But I bet FF has a bloom of some sort. If I remember when it happened to me, it got so milky white I could not see into the center of the tank. Then it was gone four days later, and all the fish where still ok. I don't remember having to clean the decorations. Never happened again.

The water isn't really cloudy. I mean, it is, but there are free floating particles all over the tank. These tanks are VERY established (running for a year). But I'll try cleaning the decor and the tubes to the filter. Then doing a water change and letting nature take its course.

I know the gunk that you are speaking of. My 55 gal tank hoses need to be cleaned because everytime I turn it off then back on the stuff shoots out. Yuck. Poor fish think its food.

I just find it odd that it is only in the 29 and 10 gal tanks. These two tanks are causing more issues than anything. I'm considering ditching the 10 gal because this one seems to be the biggest pain in the rear.

I'm considering ditching the 10 gal because this one seems to be the biggest pain in the rear.
He he. and I just start up a 10 gal (planted, no less) because my 55 is so low maintenance, I needed something to fuss with.

Tom- You can have my 10 gal then. It will be just what you are looking for. :D You can combat the pond snails and green gunk that sits ontop of the sand all by yourself. :D

I just got done with massive water changes. I am soaked in sweat and water. I emptied about 95% of the water out of the 10 gal, cleaned all the decor with hot water, took apart the filter and cleaned every piece of it except the pads.

Then I did a 30% water change in the 150 (while I have the stuff out I may as well do the weekly water changes). Then the 55, 5, and QT. After all that I took apart the filter for the 29, replaced the filter pad (it had been in there for about 6 months, its time for a replacement), cleaned the gunk out of the tube, and scrubbed the decor (except the ship, I couldn't get it out).

All the tanks lights are off and I'm going to leave them all off for the rest of the day. No food will be fed tonight. Tomorrow I'll turn on the lights and see how the tanks are.

How does my plan sound? I didn't clean the bio-wheel in the 29 gal filter, so I don't know if there will be any issues. I hope not. The fish are leaving tomorrow anyways to make room for the fry. So if it does have to re-cycle its ok.

Did you add some carbon to the filter. I know alot of people don't like/use the carbon but some new carbon is pretty good at clearing up water in most cases.

I put a new cartridge in the 29. It has carbon in it. I figured that it can't hurt to have fresh carbon. In that tank I also took out about 90% of the water. Those filters were really nasty. I have to remember to clean the tubes, not JUST the pads.

Back
Top Bottom