Weird micro organism on aquarium glass, can anyone identify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was doing a water change on one of my tanks and when cleaning the glass I noticed one of these this little organisms. They don't seem to move or have any visible effect on the tank mates but I don't know if they may be effecting them internally. 2/3 of my tanks have these little organisms. The one tank that houses my actual fish (29g) does not have them but it occurred to me they could be eating them. On the other hand the tanks that do have them (20g) houses 2 albino clawed frogs and 1 bushy nose pleco. (40g) houses 1 red eared slider, 1 raphael spotted catfish and one raphael striped catfish. All my water specs are always good and regular water changes are a definite. I have had all of my tanks set up for years without any major issues up until now. Does anyone know what's going on here?1489636096825.jpg1489636106693.jpgfrom the albino clawed frog tank

In the turtle tank they apear to be a bit larger, I think they may feed off the algae and as a result of the uvb light over the tank there is more of it. 1489636333900.jpgsorry for the bad pic in this one, this is from the turtle tank

That would be Hydra..
Fenbebdazole will take care ofthem and planaria if there happens to be any..
Iblieve the fen is safe for shrimp and snails...

I know Hydra can hurt fish fry or young shrimp. But are they any threat to anything in this tank?

They are prolific and can kill small fish. Some fish will eat them. Gourami come to mind. My favorite snail loves them....pond snails. Lol

Many livebearers will eat them I have read.
One of my nursery tanks has them ,but the fish and them are not in contact.The fry are floated in paint strainers that are sterilized weekly...I have nothing special to remove them yet.
I use assassin snails in that tank for control. Not sure they are eating the hydra or not ?
Here are mine from a month or so ago...

Does anyone know where these little hydra come from?

So in conclusion, should I worry about the hydra effecting my guys and try and get rid of them or just let them do there thing?

So in conclusion, should I worry about the hydra effecting my guys and try and get rid of them or just let them do there thing?

Considering you stock, I would not worry about them. If you were raising shrimp or fry, then I would be concerned.

Ive never worried much about them. The few times ive had them ive never lost any stock.

I had them in my shrimp tank at one time (along with snails, limpets, seed shrimp, copepods, various flatworms, detritus worms, and planaria). They went away on their own. I did use fenbendazole to eradicate to planaria though.

No live plants just drift wood, the wood was completely dry when I bought it though I'm sure it's a possibility.
If not with live plants then best guess says 'over fed' tank conditions some how generated growth to make them noticeable,like detritus worms...
That is why they survive in my fry tank.
They are 'scavengers' that will feed on any micro organism they can catch.
This is a good short read on them.
Natural Aquariums - Hydra
I have not done anything with mine but manage to keep them small and 'under control'. They are probably mostly a problem when they are larger for fish IMO...

Back
Top Bottom