Weird Otocinclus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night I quickly checked on my tank before I went to bed and I noticed one of my otocinclus' head what stuck inside the intake to my power filter! So i quickly got my net and pushed him out and he swam for a little bit before going to the top and just falling to the bottom of the tank. He stayed in a vertical position for a good 10 minutes almost lifeless. So I turned off the light thinking he wouldn't make it by the morning. Well this morning he is up and about doing what normal oto's do and shows no signs of stress. Weird.

He might have been in shock. I would watch him closely as that must have been alot of stress for him. That happened to my SAE and then a week later he had full blown ick. No other fish got sick from it noticeably, but I had to treat the whole tank anyways. Raised temp for 2.5 weeks and all is well.

Good luck with your renegade fishy.

Maybe consider placing an unwashed stocking around the filter intake to prevent it from recurring? Poor little fella. Sounds like he might be alright tho. I bet it stressed him out.

Back
Top Bottom