Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Weird stuff in bottom of my tank

Hi

I got a 20 gallon aquarium with 2 Adult AngelFish. I've had them for about a year now. I've had about 5 fish die in the past month from what I think is a bacterial fungus disease. I've put the Mardel Maroxy treatment in as the instructions says. After the 4th day they started looking better but now I've noticed some weird clear fuzzy thing at the bottom of my tank in large quantities. I just did a 50% water change and put some new zeo carb hoping it would help clear it up faster. I don't have the Ph or ammonia readings since I've never really used one before.My Angelfish has a white patch on his side fin and it looks like his nose is swollen red. Can someone please help me with any suggestion? It would be really appreciated.

the temperature is about 76degrees. I also put some tap water conditions and some Cycle tonight.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A weird clear fuzzy thing? Is it one big thing or a bunch of them? It sounds to me like you are putting too much stuff into your tank. If you are treating the tank for disease, the only thing you should be putting in is the meds, and dechlor with your prescribed water changes. Can you be more specific about the fuzzy things, or better yet, can you get a picture?

Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #3

i was looking at pictures and it looks like some kind of clear fungus. It showed up all over my gravel and on a few plants. It might be food but we are pretty sure it isn't. Does it sound like my fish have bacterial disease?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #4

The clear stuff got worst over night. It's all over my plants again even though I've taken them out and rinsed them all good. It sort of look like some kind of hairy thing. I'm waiting for my pictures to come in by email. Anyone have any idea what it is?? Sort of looks like clear cotton .
Old 03-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its gunk. More specifically its colonial bacteria on rotting gunk in your aquarium. Gravel vac and skip a day of feeding, then feed less. Watch your ammonia levels because you may have wrecked your cycle with all the meds. Beneficial bacteria break down the gunk and turn the ammonia into less harmful stuff. Check the articles section for more on this.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The carbon in the filter will remove the medication so do not use it while you are treating. It sounds like the fish need continued treatment. Rotting food on the bottom will look just like you describe, so cut way back on feeding and watch where the food goes when you do feed. If they are not eating it, vacuum it up so it does not sit in the tank.

It will be valuable to know ammonia and nitrite readings, as these are the values that are toxic to the fish and make them more likely to suffer illness. Don't worry about pH for now, we are concerned with water quality.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #7

My ph is back at 7.0
It looks like the side fins are starting to rot. What is the best cure for this?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Water changes and improved water quality are a sure cure for finrot, which is almost always related to water quality, but Melafix and Pimafix are very good for this problem, assuming the cause is resolved. They do not harm the biofilter and do not need to be removed with carbon when treatment is done, and I am a big fan of these two mild antiseptics.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #9

So if I improve my nitrate lvl it sohuld help cure it?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Nitrate is not as big of a problem as ammonia and nitrite, so I'm what levels you might have of those.

In general, increasing water changes and gravel vacs to keep debris from collecting on the substrate will go a long way to preventing finrot.

Tags
bottom, tan, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com