Weird white things?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this tank of mine is becoming frustrating... Is there really something else wrong with it?

I've found little tiny white things sliding along this glass this morning.. But there's a ton. What are these?! I took a picture, but it just looks like 2 little white specks.. They aren't free swimming, only on the glass... Like they're eating algae or something

I just looked at the guy's post regarding Copepods... They seem smaller and more elongated than that...

Attachments

• image-648015928.jpg
    image-648015928.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 71
Maybe so. Hmm. That would be weird. Thought they only popped up in bad water quality.. Well if it is planaria I guess there's no big reason to worry! :) as long as they don't harm my fish

I dint know the name but had the same thing happen in my recently set up tank. If you look you might be able to see some on a few fake plants to it will clear up over time. Or my sae's ate it all up. They do eat everything

I have an SAE! He's a little guy, he's so cool though. He's grown a lot since I got him. I have real plants though. I can't see any on them though. Mostly just on the glass. Guess I won't worry about it. Part of nature right?

They are almost certainly Planaria, they are usually caused by overfeeding. cut back a little on the feed and keep your tank clean and the will gradually disappear. they won't harm your fish, just the opposite in fact, most fish will eat them.

Pete

Thanks Pete! It's probably because my fish refuse to eat the algae wafers I put in? I feel like theyre not getting enough food... Especially my rubber lip pleco, but I guess he's ok

Corbo said:
I have an SAE! He's a little guy, he's so cool though. He's grown a lot since I got him. I have real plants though. I can't see any on them though. Mostly just on the glass. Guess I won't worry about it. Part of nature right?

If you only have one you should try and get another one or two I have two and want another one at least. They love schooling and will play with each other

Thanks Pete! It's probably because my fish refuse to eat the algae wafers I put in? I feel like theyre not getting enough food... Especially my rubber lip pleco, but I guess he's ok

Yea, algae wafers should be treated with the same rule as other fish food - if he can't finish it in 5-6 minutes - it was probably too much. In the future you can try breaking the wafer into small pieces and drop a piece in every so often.

Also, Planaria are not necessarily caused by bad water quality, but more by "bad gravel quality". Planaria are the #1 sign that it is time to do a serious vacuuming of your gravel because they feed on all that brown mush that piles up from waste and uneaten food.

Suck out a lot of the brown mush = a lot of the planaria will disappear.

Alrighty well looks like I need to do some gravel vacuuming. It's so hard with plants though! :/

I wish I could get another SAE but they get pretty big for my tank. My one likes playing with Otos. :)

Corbo said:
Alrighty well looks like I need to do some gravel vacuuming. It's so hard with plants though! :/

I wish I could get another SAE but they get pretty big for my tank. My one likes playing with Otos. :)

That's good then atleast he's not all by himself

Back
Top Bottom