Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2006, 03:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well freshies.....I have been pulled over the wall.

Next week I'm picking up an 80g bow front.Ported,sump,coral life bulbs ect....you get the idea.

I was looking at this tank for chiclids and would have bought it even it were not already SW ready (although it was used for FW planted) because of the size and the price.

BUT after finding out its really quite ready for SW,I can not resist the urge to take the hobby to the next level.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading on it already because a buddy wants to kick off a 20g saltwater tank (nano tank in the sw world) and I was the point man for the project.I figured it would give me a knowledge base for the future...I just didn't know I talking about next week lol.
So I guess the tanks will be coming up at the same time now.

There seem to as many similarities as there are differences between fw and sw....the journey should be a fun one.

So if anyone is looking for me I'll be a few forums up bothering the heck out of the salties for the next long while

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Yay, Fatz. People are intimidated by sw, but a little reading takes you a long way. I hope you find enjoyment from it all.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
I'm not so much intimidated by the salt but by the price. I'd love to set one up, but something like that would put me in the poor house.

Good luck fatz, you still keeping your other FW tanks?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did salt in the '80s and was very successful. The fish are gorgeous, and not all that difficult to keep once you figure out what you are doing. But FW is so low maintenance by comparison it would be hard for me to justify a salt tank.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I agree, it cost me an arm and leg to set up my 55 planted FW.....the only thing intimidating for me on salt is the price. I just don't have the cash ATM, but one day, I will probably climb over the wall too.

I know FOWLR tanks aren't as expensive as reef tank, but still....more than this poor single mom can afford right now.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tossed one of my shoes over the wall.... so that I am guaranteed to one day cross it when I am able to jump that high
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

[quote="JRagg"]I'm not so much intimidated by the salt but by the price. I'd love to set one up, but something like that would put me in the poor house.[quote]That's the boat I'm in too. I've done my research, I'm ready to go, but the checking account isn't so keen on the idea.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Good luck fatz, you still keeping your other FW tanks?
Yes I am...although the 29 is probably headed for the bedroom...which is an idea I like.

I feel the concerns on the cost side...I do I do I do...It will be slow moving well researched project there is no doubt.I havn't gotten the set up yet,but I don't expect it to fall through.After I have it I'll re evaluate the situation.

I've been married for 15 and have three kids and I work for a living....This may be the most researched and cost effective tank in the history of sw aquaria lol.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to see you go over the dark side. I've always been fascinated by SW tanks, but I doubt I'll ever do one. The cost being one factor and the additional work involved being the other.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
You know, you can do both...many of us do.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com