Well I decided on Dwarf Puffers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbykat9698

Aquarium Advice Activist
Still waiting on my tank to cycle, its a 20 gal, I was originally going to get some sort of cichlids, but decided on dwarf puffers as I have always been fascinated with them. I have a piece of driftwood and some plants in there now, going to get some big rocks too. Anyway Probably 4 dp's, 3 otos, and maybe some ghost shrimp (and I suppose they may or may not get eaten but going to try it).

Anyway never had dp's before, I have had otos and ghost shrimp though. Does anyone have any advice? Any at all is welcome.

My lfs gave me iron and carbon (like liquid in bottles) for my plants, what do I do with this? (they actually sold it to my boyfriend so I didn't get to hear what they really said).

Make sure you put plenty of plants and decor in there so they each have their own territorities. They do NOT need any salt in their water.

I have a DP in a 10 gallon. Good luck with otos, make sure you get ones that have been in the pet store for a while as they are hard to keep alive at first. They can starve. I had 5 and they all died in two weeks :( Hopefully you will have better luck at that!

Dwarf Puffers : Home

If this is one of your first tanks, I'd suggest against dwarf puffers. They're a fun addition, but since basically nothing else can be kept with them (plecos, guppies, danios, tetras, etc, none of which worked for me). The only fish I successfully had with my dps (when I had them) were otos. For a first tank, a community tank is normally better because you can add many different types of fish, and experiment with it a little, but if it's really what you want, then have a blast! :)

If this is one of your first tanks, I'd suggest against dwarf puffers. They're a fun addition, but since basically nothing else can be kept with them (plecos, guppies, danios, tetras, etc, none of which worked for me). The only fish I successfully had with my dps (when I had them) were otos. For a first tank, a community tank is normally better because you can add many different types of fish, and experiment with it a little, but if it's really what you want, then have a blast! :)

+1. I love my dwarf puffer. They are awesome fish. however, I wish I would have waited a little longer and got a community going. Granted I have the 29 now, but still. It sucks to have one single fish in there. I thought of getting him a buddy but as they mature the puffers will get aggressive and possibly fight each other to the death.

I only had them for a few months in a 5, but I was under the impression that dps liked to be in groups? They would swim around together, and would sometimes "ambush" snails together.

That said, dp's sleeping on plant leaves is probably one of the cutest things I have ever seen in my tank.

Not my first tank, I've had tanks for pretty much my whole life with the exception of the past 2 years. I'm getting dwarf puffers and otos. I need a change from all the tetras and danios and goldfish and bettas i've had in the past. DPs are so cute :)

Dwarf puffers are cute and a ton of fun. Keep plenty of snails on hand, and also bloodworms. They like any other fish, require some variety. I have 4 in a 20 gal and I love them.

Dwarf puffers are cute and a ton of fun. Keep plenty of snails on hand, and also bloodworms. They like any other fish, require some variety. I have 4 in a 20 gal and I love them.

I'm kinda hoping that snails pop out of the live plants I got lol. :) I've usually had a lot of snails with no fish to eat them, so this will be good. I don't care for fake plants.

I only had them for a few months in a 5, but I was under the impression that dps liked to be in groups? They would swim around together, and would sometimes "ambush" snails together.

That said, dp's sleeping on plant leaves is probably one of the cutest things I have ever seen in my tank.

Supposedly they get mean towards each other when they are older. They also should have a M;F ratio of 1:2 , but it is hard to tell the difference between male and female when they are younger. I really have been wanting to get another one for the 10, but I am scared they will fight.

Back
Top Bottom