Well, I guess it's about time I start building.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was going to start working on scaping my tank today and setting up my co2 but I got busy. So tomorrow is the day. I got a bunch of new plants in this week and have just been throwing them in the tank to hold them until I get started. I'm dreading having to catch all the fish and move them for this.

Here's what I have now and am working with
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424991564.358816.jpg

Off the top of my head:
Limnophila-aromatica, mini Vietnam
Swords-Amazon, red Rubin, ozelot
Java fern
Rotala indica
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Cabomba
Ambulia
Anubias-congensis, nana
Water wisteria...which I'll probably get rid of or put in another tank, not a huge fan of it.
And other various plants I don't remember the names of

Any advice or help will be appreciated throughout the process. I know it's a lot of background plants but it's a large tank so I'm hoping it'll fill it out some. I plan on trimming some to keep them midground, and I have no clue what I'll do for foreground since I hate carpeting or grass like plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree, it really does look good!

Sorry, no suggestions about the foreground....I'm not terribly adventurous and tend to go with either dwarf sag or pygmy chain sword.

Although (yes, I walked away for a minute there) I recently attached some flame moss to cholla wood and it's starting to take off (or up!)....

Haha thank you all. I'm sure some of the big time planted tank people on here would have a heart attack looking at it though. Plus right now everything is pretty fresh clippings, once it starts growing it'll be a mess.

I can't wait to start rearranging it tomorrow.

For a foreground plant maybe anubias nana? It isn't grass-like and also not really a carpet.

What size tank is this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a foreground plant maybe anubias nana? It isn't grass-like and also not really a carpet.

What size tank is this?

I have nana in there, I may look at that though. I think once I arrange the plants and possibly eliminate some of the driftwood I will be able to figure out what else to put in there. It's a 150 gallon.

So jealous! Going to be following this so it helps when I have the $$$ to start a 130 gallon

How tall is the tank?
What lighting will you be using?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

28" tall. Currently I have 2 of the 36" finnex planted+ and 2 of the 36" current satellite+.

Also have two 36" marineland doublebrights if needed. Have been looking at reducing the number of lights and ordering one of the custom made ones from whatever that website is.

BML? Just took a peek at one. 72" was $555 with a uv quantity of 15.

Tank looks good man! Foreground huh?? Try start repens.. may grow slow but they should make it.. a narrow lead chain sword or dwarf sag may keep with the flow of the tank better. My first experience with what a carpeting plant can do was narrow leaf chain sword.. under a finnex planted plus in gravel it overtook my entire 20 tall in a couple months. Adding substrate dividers is how I keep crazy carpeters roped off these days. (Flimsy walmart cutting boards)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Tank looks good man! Foreground huh?? Try start repens.. may grow slow but they should make it.. a narrow lead chain sword or dwarf sag may keep with the flow of the tank better. My first experience with what a carpeting plant can do was narrow leaf chain sword.. under a finnex planted plus in gravel it overtook my entire 20 tall in a couple months. Adding substrate dividers is how I keep crazy carpeters roped off these days. (Flimsy walmart cutting boards)

Thanks thanks thanks. I may look into the star repens. Once I get in there today and start actually organizing the plants I'll get a better idea of what I want. I was thinking tiger lotus and just keeping it trimmed and short, I love the broad leaves. I can't stand carpeting or grass-like plants though, absolutely hate them and most mosses, so that eliminates a lot of foreground possibilities for me.

Cardinal lobelia..

Cardinal lobelia..

I probably should have tried going at this with some sort of plan or sketch. I ended up getting kind of impatient and started just throwing things in there again so I ended up with swords and a java fern as my foreground plants. Oh well, I'll know for next time.

I do like the cardinal lobelia but everything I'm seeing on it is that it isn't a fully aquatic plant.

I've been growing it just fine for a long time..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425053752.156671.jpg

Here it is as of now. Not sure I'm loving the ozelot and Amazon sword on the left hand side where they are. Can't wait for some of the reds in these plants to start popping through, and for all the sand that was kicked up to settle down.

Back
Top Bottom