Well I went ahead and did it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got into this hobby a whole two months ago. I have made every mistake in the book. Litterally every one of them. If you were to compile a list of most common mistakes of new fish keepers I will appear on every single one of them. Still yet I can tell I love this. I started out with a 55 gallon my wife bought at a yard sale. I have immersed myself for two months in reading every thing I can possibly find on this hobby. My brain undoubtedly now holds more info than it can possibly process. I also already have a 40b tank cycling now and just today finalized a deal on a new 125 gallon tank :D.

So this one I want to do slowly and correctly from the beginning. I want to plan it all out from the get go from the substrate to the lights, filter , the decor, the plants and the fish. So all you guys and girls out there who would like to shoot me suggestions on where to begin and where to go with it feel free to jump right in. Id be more than happy to take you along for the ride :dance::dance::dance:

Definitely want plants. Not going to be a huge number but enough to give it a naturalistic feel and be good for the health of the water. smaller fish. I'm leaning toward having some Bosemani Rainbows as my centerpiece and maybe some whitefish tetra. those sizes. Def Fresh water

My all time favorite fish are the freshwater puffers. My first was a true red eyed puffer, she was in a community tank until she passed at age 6. Now I have a pea puffer in a 55 gallon community tank. I have black neons, green tiger barbs, gold gourami, peppered cory cats and kuhli loaches. I run 2- 30 gal filters as I was afraid a larger filter would be too powerful and suck up the puffer fish.

The puffer and gourami are the most inquisitive of all the fish, as soon as I am in the room, they have to know what is going on.

Thats one of the fish I haven't read much about. I'm going to look them up now to see what I think. I really would love to have tiger barbs too but I have had conflicting information on if they will actually be compatible with most peaceful community fish. have you had any aggression issues with yours?

Here is a photo of my puffer and tank. A bit over stocked now because we are remodeling a room and took the other tank down for now.

I have also read about tiger barbs being extremely aggressive. I think I am lucky in that aspect. I have 1 male/5 females. 3 caves, and large plants.They are very well fed also.

I do have 1 female tiger barb who stays by herself in the corner of the tank. She has done that since she was a baby, never staying with the school, except to come out and eat. She was never bothered by anyone and has never been sick and she is not the smallest either. I think they just have their own personalities.

A side note, my green tiger barbs are blue, I am assuming it is the light they are under. The blue is an awesome color.

Attachments

• july 21 001 (640x469).jpg
    july 21 001 (640x469).jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 66
  • july 21 010 (640x480).jpg
    july 21 010 (640x480).jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 51
  • july 21 006 (640x399).jpg
    july 21 006 (640x399).jpg
    219 KB · Views: 68
man those are awesome. Absolutely love your tank. What is that cave on the bottom right made of? that looks incredible. Those fish are really cool

Back
Top Bottom