well i went out of town and then...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pecos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
recently purchaced a 155 gallon bow front tank got it set up nicely let it adjust over a week put fish in
tester fish bough from 2 places they do fine for a few days

transfer rest of fish over mm start loosing one about evey 2 days ???? new tank syndrome sure it could be

1 week later ohh darn ich great and no $ till payday

buy ich medication and begine treatement shows little to no sighns of improving

went out of town for a funeral left instructions detailed inst. with room mates they follow em come back 24 hours too late to save most of my fish bout at this minuite 75 % loss of fish

massive alge????? bloom water was neon green turned that way in less than 2 days

could it be the ich medication to produce soo much alge to kill off a tank ?

could it be lighting ??????

freshwater tank tetras angelfish plecos yo yo loaches 2 nope now 1 alge eater the other ones stone dead have to go get that one out

i had a catastrophic aquarium failure and am at a comeplete loss to explain why had aquariums of varying size for the last 5 years nothing like this

any ideas? probably a combo of things

oh yeah phosphate and nitrate came back normal and our city has water advisory out due to alot of rain and high sediment in water content

new tank syndrome

think we might need some more info to help you. what are your ammonia, nitrite and ph, temp etc...how many fish did you put in there? what type of filtration do you have? i have never had any type of med cause algae to grow, how's your lighting? is it in front or near a window? have you done any water changes? best wishes for the fishes!

ok tank 155 gal fresh water bow front
types and number of fish
was 30-40 tetras cat fish yo yo loaches 6 large angles ..sniff...
plecos red tail sharks black skirt tetras danios .sniff

lighting well i dont know much here but hese what it said on the box
there are 4 of these lights in an arching style refelctor behind them
36 inch 110 watt kelvin colour lamps spectrum readings peak to power of 75 percent at about 425 in the green

spikes a little higher at 80 percent? at 525 light green

off the chart on 600-610 yellow red

i think i need to know more bout the technical side of this i know what to do and how to do it as for the stuff behind it i guess im kind of clueless

as for ph an all its kind of late now ive drained the tank and its been sitting for 30 hours in hot weather there is a window above it but it is curtined and not on a sun side of the house so not much light filter in

possible solutions ive thought of heard of

taking 2 of the lights out possibly only 1 and put them on a timer

run the tank as stated in an earlier thread with a 10 - 1 bleach ration i think its a little lextreem to kill the ich but after loosing so many nice fish i dont want this to happen again

anty way im up for any ideas thanks

How long has this 155 been up and running?

You say "recently purchased" in the first post. After reading the second post by you where you said "30-40 tetras" I was thinking Geez thats alot of fish for even an estabilshed tank let alone a new tank.

You man no mention of filtration. Are you using wet/dry filter (trickle filter)? What type of filtration are you using?

oh yeah phosphate and nitrate came back normal and our city has water advisory out due to alot of rain and high sediment in water content

This statement leads me to belive that your alge blooms was both a biproduct of "new tank syndrome" and the water from your city.

when you refill the tank, the cycling has to start all over--are you familar with the chemistry part of things? i asked you about ammonia, nitrite and you made no mention of them, does that mean you hadn't tested for those?? if not, that's probably what killed your fish...here's a link to the chemistry end of things if you need it...

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/bcycling.htm

you started out with way too many fish unless you did a fishless cycle....sounds like you might be a little frustrated, don't give up yet...while your tank is empty, check out the location to see if it has too much sunlight--if it does, move it before you refill , as for your other lighting, one of the other guys probably knows a lot more about it than me, my lights are just for looking at my fish, so they are pretty simple. if you don't already have it, i would strongly suggest getting an aquarium test kit at least for ammonia and nitrite for now....usually cheaper just to get a combo set though....

and as for the ich, stress weakens their immune system and if they were stressed by their conditions, ie ammonia, nitrite, etc... or too much in transit etc, it is easy for them to break out with ich. ..

hope this helps you get restarted!

ok amonium before i left was acceptable little to none at all nitrate was little to none as well by 30-40 fish i meant total and as for filtration 2 fluval 404's running at that time zeo carb will be setting up with all new filter media again zeo carb and going to add some fiber peat ive had luck with that before too and of course new bio-max and sponges planning on having a planted tank when i can afford all new stuff just 150$$ alone for media

lighting is good very little sun light as mentioned above somewhere but i think im going to let it run for about a month this time

had it running for 2 weeks before i introduced tester fish last time plus im going to wait till the advisory goes away some time in agust probably

was running for about a month when this happened

Back
Top Bottom