Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, it finally happened

I spilled water ALL over the carpet. It was probably only a gallon or so, but it really spread itself out. I think Im lucky in the fact that the carpet is not very thick. I went and got the steam cleaner we have and sucked up most of the water. The carpet is still damp. It so happens that there is a heating duct right near where I spilled the water, so I have the heater on. What I am worried about is the water that got under the tank stand. I reached in as far as I could with a towel to soak up what I could, but I can tell its still wet. Hopefully it will dry out ok.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Point a fan at it. It will probably quarter the drying time from experience.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs and you can't have an aquarium without spilling some water. For those of you that have not, YOU WILL.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Thank goodness I've already done it. I was syphoning (the old fashioned way) with a 20ft hose. I thought the exit end was firmly placed in the sink. Well, I was going real good with the gravel vacuum, getting the hard to reach places and when I finished, lifted the hose out of the tank and went to the kitchen. I should have grabbed a row boat on my way in. At least 6 gal of water on the kitchen floor!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Isn't it amazing just how far a liquid can spread when spilled? How many of you have ever spilled a glass of soda or a cup of coffee on your desk? A co-worker of mine dropped a full 5 gal bottle of water that he was trying to place on the water cooler. The entire carpet in the 8 x 12 foot room was soaked for days!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

A couple of months ago after cleaning out my canister filter I guess I did'nt close it properly and over the course of the night it slowly leaked about 20 gallons out of my 80 gallon tank. When i went to work the next morning (at 3:30 am) I walked buy the guest room( where both tanks are) and squish squish on the carpet in the hall. Flipped on the lights in the room thinking a tank had broke but just 25% water missing. So I opened the doors and sure enough I saw a slow leak from the canister where the motor housing fits on the canister.
To make a long story short I called in sick, called my friend whos in the carpet cleaning business, and learned to always triple check the seal when i clean my filter
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I think we have all been there, unfortunately.

Recently I was doing a water change on my 5.5gal, which involves a simple syphon and a 5gal water cooler jug. I walked around to the other side of the stand to get a tricky patch and did not notice that the syphon hose had popped out of the top of the jug, and was draining onto the carpet, right at the base of the stand. I too have a carpet cleaner and suctioned as much as I could, which in total was about 2.5 gals, but you would think it was 10 gals. It was musty and stinky for a few days and that was that. Luckily this time of year most of us have relatively dry houses from being heated so it evaporated and 2 weeks later there is no evidence of the mishap.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It was musty and stinky for a few days and that was that.
I had a sump pump pipe for the house break once, flooded the basement carpet. There is some stuff you can spread on the carpet that kills mold and wipes out the musty odor (can't remember the name). Lasts several months even in the humid summer. I have used this stuff because my basement collects moisture, and even though the carpet was professionally dried and cleaned, the musty smell returns in the summer. I have since learned that anytime a musty smell persists after a spill, the key is to pull up the carpet and replace the padding that got wet. I would bet that anywhere but a basement would dry out well enough not to need this.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1 gallon? Rookie...

Call me when you've siphoned about 30 gallons onto the floor and shorted out your home telephone line.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just recently was doing a water change with my python attached to the bathroom sink. I hadn't realized that for some reason the drainage was clogged. It took only 2 minutes before I heard some dripping and realized I totally flooded the bathroom, which ran out to the wood floors of the kitchen.

All I can say is, thank goodness it was not on the carpet.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com