well it happened... MTS... a few questions on a new tank setup and ram cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summit

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I set up an 8 gallon tank about 4-5 months ago now, its going quite well, thanks to alot of help from my wife who came on here since I was almost ready to give up, so big thanks to her, and you guys in here for helping her/us, we are battling an ich outbreak right now, but I believe its starting to get under control with the heat treatment, in the process we managed to catch MTS :D and are looking at a 33 gallon long tank (36"L x 12"W x 18"H I assume this is a long?)

Basically we already have a nice community tank in the 8 gallon with some low light live plants, driftwood, 6 neons and an otto, its really quite attractive, but I think we want something different for the next one, and the german blue rams caught my eye as they are beautiful fish, and I have read have some great personalities as well, exactly what we were looking for. If anyone can help me with some of the questions below, or direct me towards a site that specialized in ram cichlids I would appreciate it.

-Do all rams get along if I wanted to mix german blue rams with other types of ram cichlids?

-do they have more of a personality than other fish? my neons are kinda boring! my otto is entertaining though

-In a 33 gallon, I was thinking I could get away with 8 or so? Or are they messy fish?

-I have read they like alot of plants, but this setup will have extremely weak lighting, will they be happy in an aquarium with heavy rockwork instead?

-Will a penguin 200 gph filter create too much current for them?

-are they compatible with invertabrates/algae eaters to control any algae I may get?

these are some good questions as i have been wondering about the rams myself, hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people on the site will tune in and give some good info

-You can mix GBRs, Bolivian Rams, Gold Rams etc...

-They do have more personality. They are cichlids after all. They will learn to recognize you, get excited when you come home etc...

-A 33 gallon long is not large enough to house 8 IMO. As mentioned above, they are cichlids and therefore territorial. They become more territorial if they pair off I think. I would start with maybe 4.

They don't "need" plants. They will be fine in a mostly rockwork aquarium. Just make sure to provide plenty of hiding places, nooks and cranny's. This will help with aggression as well as making them feel safe.

A penguin 200 shouldn't create too much flow but if you feel it is, you could inhibit it a bit by putting a sponge on the intake.

They are compatible with algae eaters and inverts in my experience. I have kept a couple shrimp with them as well as oto's.

These are just my opinions and are by no means facts. I hope this helps.

Well, if you have MTS you might as well save yourself some time and grief by getting a MUCH bigger tank. Like a 55 at least. Though when the bug really bit me I wasn't happy until I got a 90 gal and then I would still look at it thinking, I should have gotten the 6ft tank. :) sigh...roll eyes....it's just never enough I am afraid.... :)
I love the idea of the rams, I think 4 in a 33 will be nice and you will like it, try getting a larger female to male ratio if possible to help reduce agression. Sometimes if you can grow them out together they will get along better as adults too. I had heard all kinds of horror stories about angels and I got 6 of them hoping to get a pair eventually....agression started 18 months later when they were full grown, but they would really just flash at each other, no violence. :) So I kept all 6 until I had to move across the country. SO you just never know. Sometimes you just have to try what you want, watch it and if there is a problem, take back the trouble maker. :)

-You can mix GBRs, Bolivian Rams, Gold Rams etc...

-They do have more personality. They are cichlids after all. They will learn to recognize you, get excited when you come home etc...

-A 33 gallon long is not large enough to house 8 IMO. As mentioned above, they are cichlids and therefore territorial. They become more territorial if they pair off I think. I would start with maybe 4.

They don't "need" plants. They will be fine in a mostly rockwork aquarium. Just make sure to provide plenty of hiding places, nooks and cranny's. This will help with aggression as well as making them feel safe.

A penguin 200 shouldn't create too much flow but if you feel it is, you could inhibit it a bit by putting a sponge on the intake.

They are compatible with algae eaters and inverts in my experience. I have kept a couple shrimp with them as well as oto's.

These are just my opinions and are by no means facts. I hope this helps.

I agree completely. You could also look at some of the less common apistos. They all have great personalities IMO. Good luck and beware... MTS is incurable. :)

Back
Top Bottom