Well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Figured I would test my well water to see if it is usable in my aquarium.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates +20 (crappola)
PH -6 (another crappola)
Guess that option is out. Darn fertilizers. My tank is planted but not sure if I want to risk bacteria, parasites, metals and other nasties getting in my tank. It is a deep well used for my sprinkler system. Does not smell of sulfur (less so than Prime anyway) and seems to have a low iron content as my driveway and sidewalks are not stained the color of Mars (all my neighbors are though). Maybe I'll let it run for an hour or so and test it again. Also, I live on the east coast of Florida so the salt content may be high but I don't know how to test for that.

Any thoughts on if I should even consider using it?

20 nitrates isn't bad..... but you wouldn't want your tank to get much above that.

Would you consider it over...
8 PH
0.5-1 ammo
0.5-1 nitirites
10-20 nitrates
...in my tap water taking into consideration that it is well water with unknown bacteria and stuff in it?

The metals I can dose a water conditioner for. Not too fond of the idea of boiling 16 gallons of water or more each week to kill bacteria.

Think I may have a chat with my LFS guy conserning possible salt and other issues.

Have you ever had a real test done by a lab on your well water?

Many people consider well water to be more pure than tap water.

No, as it has never been used for anything other than watering the lawn and filling the pool. I checked into it last night and it is a couple to a few hundred dollars to have it tested. Planned on checking with the health department to see if they have a cheaper service.

LFS guy said my GH is 240 and that he would not hesitate to use it so long as tomorrow's PH test comes out good. I have a gallon bubbling in the garage right now to see what the PH will be tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom