well water and a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjsans

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have well water and it's so hard it can't be measured. I can't grow plants and am very limited on the type of fish I can have, not even guppies. Is spring water a healthy alternative to my poor fish swimming around in water that is a few steps away from cement? :confused:

Spring water would work. In the long run it would be cheaper to buy an RO/DI system and just mix in some well water for minerals.

Running an RO unit on a well can be expensive and labor intensive...
I use ro and once had a well....
Try doing test with a fraction of test water volume and then multiply to get real level...
IE 5 ml is normal test volume so if you test 2.5 ml you would multiply by 2....

I do agree you need to find a way to cut/dilute the water...

Thank you all. We are talking about a 125 gal. tank with the addition of ~6 gal every 3 days to maintain the water levels in my Marineland Tidepool filter system. The main expense would be the cost of the spring water delivery to switch over my tank. Mixing in some well water when I add every few days would be no problem. My main challenge is finding another home for my 2 huge Tin Foil Barbs that cleaned out my greens I did manage to grow. (They were given to me when my son-in-law shut down his tank at his place of business.) Plants and those Barbs just don't mix.

Back
Top Bottom