went to a creek today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
tried catching some fish with some nets but they were 2 fast. but i brought some plants home that i thought looks kind of aquatic. in the roots i found several snails/clams.

the clams are just clams but the snails are pond snails, but their really col colors. like 2 of them are like a pearl color and ones like striped. their really cool!

and i found like 3-4 ramshorn snails but whenni got home i only could find one.

I highly suggest dipping those plants in a alum solution or potassium permanganate
to remove unwanted hitchhikers. Too many bad things can be brought home from the wilds, on/in plants, clams, snails and fish ect.
Be very careful.

sweet, i never even thought of getting plants from a pond, river, lake, etc.

i dont know. they kind of shaped like white clouds but they were a like... hmm. they looked like pencilfish. like they had a dark stripe..

it was kind of a creek. i just went to the part by the road. and there were all thees lil swimmy bugs in there. i thought i caught a fish and theres this lil bug in there. kinda grose.

is a 5 gallon big enough for a native tank?

they look like the normal clams you buy from aquabid etc. but ill try after tennis camp. their pretty small compared to 2/5 i bought from online.

I wouldn't think it was gambusia. The habitat fits but the description knocks it off the list. No comment about it being a guppy. I would bet it is most likely one of the native "minnows". They often end up getting washed into culverts and other low flow areas during flooding or higher creek flows. Also the comment of them being too fast makes me think they are definetly "minnows". Gambusia are rather slow from my netting experiences. You can often check with your local DNR to see a species list of fish for your state. Dark stripe limits it somewhat but many have this feature. If you catch one and get a picture it would make it a lot easier to identify.

they were schooling if that helps, but it was muddy and it was hard to se ethem

under the bridge was a slower part, but there was a creek leading out

went to 2 more creeks today. both by a road. i found anacheris in 1 and anacheris in the other. i caught about 3-4 kinds of fish and saw a big one. about
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

it looks really cool because you barely could see any of it but it had like really bright white stripe on its tail.

i think i caught a blue baby crayfish but i dont know where it is. i hope i can find it..

i have alot of aquatic bugs in there, and some tadpoles.

should i put these in my 10 gallon tank with my snail? or should i keep them in the like 2 gallon glass containers (spread out in 3)

or should i put the fish in my 5 gallon tank into my 10 gallon and put them in there?

and what should i feed them? i put some flakes in there and they dbont really notice them., i wasnt expecting them to, but i wanted to try anyway.

.. last night i lost 15 fish. i think the rest will survive for awhile though. i have 2 obviously different fish and some babies that i dont know

Back
Top Bottom