wet dry filter floss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clay16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read about people using filter floss to make the water crystal clear. What is this? With my wet dry the water trickles over a blue filter pad then down Bio balls then pumped out again. Where would " floss" go?
Thanks and sorry if I sound stupid lol

Filter floss is just another name for a filter pad. I think the blue filter pad is your filter floss, can you post a pic?

Yes I will. I'm at work now but will later. Thanks

Might be wrong here, but filter floss as I understand is that nylon fluffy stuff they put in cushions. I changed the carbon in my internal canister for that and within a day I had crystal-clear water.

epiphysis said:
Might be wrong here, but filter floss as I understand is that nylon fluffy stuff they put in cushions. I changed the carbon in my internal canister for that and within a day I had crystal-clear water.

I know what your talking about I forget what it's called but it's what they used to stuff pillows. It all depends what you want you filter floss to do, clean up particulate mater or clear the water up?

I am definitely interested in having crystal clear water. Lol

You can buy it in your LFS as said it's definitely cotton like fluffy stuff. I was advised not to put it first as it will catch large particles too and block the filter quickly, so best place is last in the filter.

I have some on a internal sponge filter, I wrapped that around the bottom of the sponge so it gets hit last and water has never looked so clear. Definitely recommend it.

So If I was to get some would I put it after the blue filter pad buts on top of Bio balls? Or have it submerged by my return pump?

Yeah after the bio balls before it gets pumped back into the tank. You will need to change it every few months as it will get mucky, so don't worry about it building up bacteria, your pad and bio balls will have that. It's just to catch the last little bits left in the water.

In a wet dry, mechanical filtration should occur before the bio balls. This will prevent any build up on the bio media. If you purchase polyester batting for quilts, it comes in a sheet, which can be cut to size, and go above the blue material you have now. This makes it easy to remove and toss. If you can find a source of industrial air handler media (perhaps the end of a roll), it is similar and very good also.

Ok good to know. I will look into it when I get time thanks!

Back
Top Bottom