Wether loach in tropical tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I have a wether loach in my cold water 64l tank and he has grown much to big for the tank now. In the spring I plan to put him in my pond but that is a few months away yet and he needs an upgrade now. I have a 400l tropical community tank that is at 26c. The tank he is in at the moment is at 23c. Can he be moved to the bigger tank or is it to hot for him?? It will only be temporary until it is warm enough for me to add him to the pond

Weather loaches typically prefer cooler water, but I have a weather loach in a tropical tank that is heated to about 78F (around 26C) and he does well. Has grown from 3" when I adopted him to about 8" now, eats and acts fine. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, but it's worked for almost 2 years for him. It could also be that I just got lucky.
If you acclimate yours slowly enough to the temp change, I believe it will do fine, especially if it's a temporary home.

Thanks for the reply I have just added him to the tank and he has wedged himself behind a plant and doesn't move often. Breathing normally though. Do you think he is just getting used to it?

Back
Top Bottom