WH0TH3MAN's Freshwater Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WH0TH3MAN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Welcome to my freshwater adventure thread! I am new to the hobby and decided that I would start a thread looking at all the different things that I attempt. I like to research stuff, so don't be afraid to tell me to do that if I seem to needy :p This will aid in keeping information together for me and possibly help someone else. So let's get started! :)

SMALL SHRIMP TANK

I am trying to start cheap with a small shrimp tank (~1 gallon).

Here is what I'm thinking...

-1/2 inch dirt on the bottom
-1/4 inch fine aquarium gravel
-java fern
-another plant?
-ghost shrimp (maybe cherry? (I think the temp is too cold))

Questions:

-Does this setup seem okay? (Similar pH and temperature needs) (my house stays at about 68 Fahrenheit year round, so temp should be fine)

-Since I am using plants and low waste organisms (I think they are at least?), will I need to clean the tank often?

-will the ghost shrimp reproduce? I heard that you have to feed the larvae in order for them to actually survive, is this true?

-when they molt, do I need to take anything out of the water?

-I plan on getting a liquid test kit for ph, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia. Any other things like this that I need to buy?

- anything else I need to research/ consider?

Thanks for your time! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will there be filtration/aeration in this tank?
What kind of plants were you thinking of using, aside from the Java Fern? The soil might not be necessary.
The temperature should be fine for RCS. As for ghost shrimp, some types will breed in FW, however, the life cycle is a bit more complicated compared to RCS (there is a free swimming, plankton eating stage).
If water parameters are monitored and kept at decent levels and regular water changes are being performed, then either shrimp should be fine. This will require diligence on your part as things can go south rather quickly in such a small volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No there won't be any filtration or aeration in this tinny tank.

Maybe like Anubias for another plant. It should be an easy plant, which is what I need for my first plants.

Thanks for all the discussion so far! It is really appreciated! :)

Anubias is a good choice. Guppy grass, various mosses, and subwassertang would also work. With those plants, there would be no need for soil in the substrate.
There are a few "bowl" threads on this forum (just cannot find them).
Some are simple and some are rather elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have seen the bowl threads before :) Okay :) I'll look into those plants! Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom