What are ghost (glass) shrimp compatible with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
In other words, what will they not get eaten by?

MY current stock is

Dwarf Gourami, Angelfish, black phantom tetra, clown loach, molly, platy.

Will any of these eat the shrimp?

You can always try, they aren't expensive. My guess would be that your gourami, angelfish and loach atleast will try to eat it. Maybe the others depending on docility.

Ok.....Looking around online, looks like they're more intended for smaller fish like neons and my tetras....

I have some living with my goldfish. 2-4" goldfish. They lived together great. Then I got more a year later after some died. They ate half of the new group (eight). Now the remaining 4 they ignore as they did in the past. They have been together with these 4 for at least 4-5 months.

I also have one in with my blue lobster. The shrimp was the smallest one from another group, and was in the tank first. Both are doing quite well.

They do well with non-agressive fish. The fish you have would most likely make a meal out of them.

My 2" Opaline Gourami snacked on 5 out of 8 within 24 hours of placing them in the tank.

The survivors now live with a few Neons, Zebra Danios, and Otos with no problems.

I'd bet that the angel and gourami would eat them. I wouldn't trust them in that tank. I'd only put them with fish that have small mouths like small tetras.

I have ghost shrimp in 2 of my tanks. One has neon and glolight tetras (2 1/2 gal). The other (55 gal) has glass catfish (5), bosemani rainbows (4), yo yo loaches (3), green corydoras (3), siamese (1) and chinese (1) algae eaters, florida flag fish (1), farlowella (1) and kuhli loaches (possibly 4). They have been doing fine in these, but like mentioned above, I wouldn't trust the gourami and angels....but then again they are cheap (18 cents each, in Columbus, OH).

Ghost shrimp are considered feeders. So you can keep them in any tank as long as you keep replenishing the ones that get eaten.

I used to keep a Ghost only tank, now that tank raises cherry shrimps. When I converted, I tossed all my remaining Ghosts into the main tank, about 6. Now, 8 months later, there are 3 ghost shrimp left. They are quite healthy and nice looking. In fact, they look so nice you might not even think they were the same as those dull feeders in the store. They live with - Angels, Dwarf Gouramis, Loaches, Apistos, Discus, Guppies, and a lot of tetras. None of those fish eat or bother them.

My confirmed shrimp eaters are Rainbowfish (bigtime), also my Pygmy Sparkling Gouramis will attack and eat small shrimp, but that is in another tank.

Of your list, I would say those mollies are most likely to eat your shrimp.

I missed a day of feeding in my 75 gallon...I went from 6 ghost shrimp to 0 that same day....I think my bichir and pacu made a meal out of em.

My oscars eat a few of them, then just kill the rest out of sport and leave there carcus laying at the bottom of the tank. Its crazy. My crayfish won't touch em - I don't know why - he eats poop and everything else / why not a shrimp? :)

The last two times I have opened up my cannister filter I have found 2 or 3 little baby shrimp and some big dead ones stuck to the pad. I also suspect my GBRs made snacks of the ones that molted. Somehow there are still a couple in my tank though.

Back
Top Bottom