What are good decorations for an Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting am oscar relatively soon and I've done some research. It seems they like to dig and eat live plants so I was curious if there were an Oscar friendly decorations. Tank size will be 60g (petsmart is having a sale). I kinda wanna get driftwood as I have used it before buyt would like advice.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's hard to have many decorations with Oscars. As most owners will tell you, Oscars rearrange the tank to their liking, no matter what you think.

You can get away with quite a lot with young oscars and in a HUGE tank with a group you still have quite a lot of scope. But a single adult Oscar gets bored easily and moves and destroys anything he is able. This includes the heater/stat, so either use external heating in a canister filter or use very good suckers to attach it to the glass.
When I had a single Oscar I had fairly course gravel and two huge rocks which enabled him to swim a figure of eight pattern, without the rocks he just swam endlessly up and down which was depressing. A large heavy piece of bogwood would work as well but make sure the rock or wood has no sharp edges or points to avoid the Oscar damaging himself.
Having said all that, I really enjoyed the years I had with him even though it was never a pretty tank.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Just remembered, I had a good underwater picture taped to the back of the tank which looked quite good. I prefer a black painted background now but that might have been too stark with just the one fish.
I kept a large common Plec in the tank, just bigger than the Oscar, and the combination worked well but the bio load is high.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

when I kept Oscars I didn't keep any decor as they tend to throw it around,
heater needs to be caged to keep from being broken they are rough fish that love to tear things apart

Big, Heavy decorations. The Oscar will make his tank well, his tank. They will get annoyed when you move stuff in it.

I kept my Oscar with beautiful silk plants with weighted bases and huge mopani wood. The silk plants swayed and looked real (from the filter movement). The fish never tore anything up, had him for about 7 years. I've moved on, but it was one of my favorite tanks ever. I'd recommend that.

Back
Top Bottom