what are safe decorations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uglygoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what constitutes a safe decoration for a tank? many sold in pet stores are some sort of plastic, are these some sort of food grade plastic?

i ask because one of my other hobbies is building plastic models, particularly, ships. now i'm not gonna sink one of my models in the fish tank, but it would be beyond cool if i could. can i? what sorta finish could i employ to make styrene and model glue and oil paint safe to aquatic life? :confused: i'm guessing none!

it's just a wild thought, but seriously what constitutes safe decorum for our finned friends?

Sounds like a wicked idea. Im unsure about the plastics but you want to make sure there are no sharp edges to cut the fish.

if it could be done, i could make all sorts of wrecks, from bermuda triangle aircraft, to lake eire wooden frigates from 1812...

if i could somehow dip the entire model in marine friendly silicon to seal it... 0X

Check the DIY forums. I havent been on here in years, but I remember a guy that made a huge backdrop of a mayan face out of insulation foam and he ende up painting and spraying it with something.

If I could paint it completely with Krylon Fusion, I'd use it in a tank.

Doing a search on the site, I found a post I made a few years back. You can use polyeurathane(sp?) varnish to protect your fish from whatever is on your model. The book i read it from suggested atleast 3 coats.

The problem is getting the fish to hold still enough to get a good brush coat.

:p

Back
Top Bottom