What are some fish that hide or stay immobile all day/night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering what kind of FW/BW fish that hide all day in a cave or keep a relatively low profile at all times?

No nocturnal fishes, but something that is more immobile.

I know brackish water knight goby and bumblebee goby does not move very much at all. Any other thoughts about similar FW/BW fish?

a raphael catfish is a pretty good option for fw. they get pretty big(like 8 inches i tthink) and are covered in spines. they also eat anything that fits in there mouths

Raphael catfishes are a little big at ~8inches. Anything else smaller?

Yup I'm setting up a large south american puffer tank and another large tank for Figure 8s and a third large tank for DPs.

I'll do a group of otos with DPs.
I'm probably going to get a knight goby and 2 bumblebee goby for the F8 tank.
Not sure what I'll throw in with the South americans.

I am not sure if it would like the puffer or vise versa but a scarlett badis is very still and gorgeous.

Leaf fish barely move. They hang out near plants and look like leaves for camouflage, hence the name!

Yikes I just googled leaf fish and saw the word "poisonous" and "not community safe". I'll pass.

scarlett badis is an excellent candidate!

I need a fish that will get out of the way from the south american puffer's active lifestyle. They don't kill, but has a chance of nipping anything that moves in its path. This makes knight and bumblebee goby, and other low-profile fish really good tankmate candidates. Those gobies are also territorial, so they can match the aggressiveness of those puffs if needed.

ok, that makes sense. I was just thinking, if I wanted a fish that didn't move, I'd take one out of the basket by the bathtub that my son plays with during bath time. But... I see your angle on it now. Carry on....

Pirate perch rarely move unless they are stalking prey. And their vent is on their throat, which is weird lol.

Grass pickerel/Redfin pickerel are also nearly always immobile except when a feeder hits the water. They can be trained onto pellets but it's not easy sometimes. I've never had luck training pirate perch onto pellets.

Back
Top Bottom