What are some good obball/ species only fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roberts48

Aquarium Advice Freak
M looking to stock a 30 gal and I want something cool looking at prolly a species only or some out of the ordinary.

Don't know if you saw my other post but, I just got a Hong Kong pleco. He is rather unique. Kinda looks like a sting ray. He'd be a nice start to your 30 gallon. How about some goby's?

Here's a pic of my pleco.
img_1926580_0_fb6499796671b7167540fb8d60d0dbeb.jpg

You can look in to:
Puffers
Eels-peacock
Pygmy Sunfish
Shell dweller cichlids, or shellies I think theyre called.
Crabs?

ccross said:
Don't know if you saw my other post but, I just got a Hong Kong pleco. He is rather unique. Kinda looks like a sting ray. He'd be a nice start to your 30 gallon. How about some goby's?

Here's a pic of my pleco.

I believe That is actually a hillstream loach. Who's requirements are actually quite different from plecos. I believe they like high water flow and to be in small groups. You should look them up

I believe That is actually a hillstream loach. Who's requirements are actually quite different from plecos. I believe they like high water flow and to be in small groups. You should look them up

Already been over this in another post. Hillstream Loach and Hong Kong Pleco's are the same fish.

I was thinking about a Congo puffer has anyone ever kept them before.?

This guy? He looks mean, lol
Looks kinda like a pleco,

congo_10.jpg

Yeah if you look up a YouTube vid on them they hurry themselves in the sand and it's pretty cool to watch.

I think with puffers you'd need a brackish setup.

ccross said:
I think with puffers you'd need a brackish setup.

I'm not sure on that particular species, but some are pure freshwater species, the most common of which seems to be the dwarf or pea puffer. From my experience and what I've read, each species seems to do best in a species tank, many times with only one specimen per tank.

ccross said:
Already been over this in another post. Hillstream Loach and Hong Kong Pleco's are the same fish.

I obviously know they are. I didn't want you thinking it was an ordinary pleco with the misleading common name. But you're welcome

I obviously know they are. I didn't want you thinking it was an ordinary pleco with the misleading common name. But you're welcome

Not to be rude but, I do not like when people imply that I do not know how to take care of things. If you read my posts, I asked questions as soon as I got him to be sure I was taking care of him properly. ASSUME nothing. And I'm not sure what you seem to think I should be thanking you for.

Ok...back to the OP's question....

I like Oddball Fish. But you could also look at Bamboo Shrimp ? Two would fit in a 30g with proper care. Water flow, places to perch, live plants etc...they aren't difficult to supplement feed if needed.

Coursair said:
Ok...back to the OP's question....

I like Oddball Fish. But you could also look at Bamboo Shrimp ? Two would fit in a 30g with proper care. Water flow, places to perch, live plants etc...they aren't difficult to supplement feed if needed.

For bamboo shrimp I think its best to add to a well established tank not into a fairly new set up

ccross said:
Not to be rude but, I do not like when people imply that I do not know how to take care of things. If you read my posts, I asked questions as soon as I got him to be sure I was taking care of him properly. ASSUME nothing. And I'm not sure what you seem to think I should be thanking you for.

Please do not de rail from the OP topic

ccross said:

You're welcome

I was thinking about a Congo puffer has anyone ever kept them before.?

I kept a congo before. They are very unactive fish because they are lurkers by nature. After a congo get used to you, then this puff might SOMETIMES unbury and come right up to you when you're around because you are the food keeper. In my case, that did not happen. They come in a few colors - brown, tank, orange (rare), red (very rare). They also change colors often, depending on mood. Mine went from light orange to brown when stressed. I enjoyed the company of my little guy before I had to rehome him due to limited space in my new house.

Think long and hard before you consider getting this fish. If you want a more interactive fish, then look at another oddball.

Okay thanks for the help guys I'm still up for any suggestions

Back
Top Bottom