What are some of the more profitable fish one might raise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
You know, for credit at the LFS... so we can get more tanks and fish, so we can raise more fry, so we can get more tanks anf fish....

The rarer, or the harder the fish is or is to raise and breed, the more its worth.

Thats why guppies and mollies are worth 10 cents or so wholesale, however something like Zebra Plecos could go for 20-40 dollars wholesale.

Retail they go for over 100.

illuminum....

They're expensive for three reasons:

1) For a 'plecostomus'-type catfish, they're Gorgeous!!!
2) They don't often breed in captivity.
3) Many of the nicer specimens you see for sale are wild-caught which makes them much pricier!

Fruitbat, how would one be able to tell if the Zebra Pleco at their LFS is wild-caught or bred in captivity? Size/color/etc. differences? Or just better genetics?

I am very curious to see a fish that costs that much!

*About the Zebra Plecs*: I doubt you'd be able to tell. I've seen some tank-raised zebra plecs and they're just as gorgeous.

*Sati*: William is right that rarer, harder-to-breed fish are more expensive, but don't let that make you think that you'll make more money if you breed them! Fish may be cheaper if they're easier to breed, but you may be able to breed 100 or 1000 times as many guppies as you may zebra plecs. In that time you may have made $100... and you may not have had to put in any effort at all!

I find that most small-scale breeders tend to stick with rare species, esp. discus and fancy plecs. They simply can't compete with large farms where fish can be produced quickly and cheaply in bulk, or with fishermen who can harvest these fish from the river even more cheaply. So, I would either go with guppies (nice and easy) or consider setting up a serious breeding tank for nice plecs. Not much point in trying to breed neons, serpaes, gouramis etc....

*Illuminum*- your 30 is overstocked, or will be real soon!!

Back
Top Bottom